• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MUSKY COMING TO A LAKE NEAR YOU?

2years ago all we heard was how the smallmouth were taking over all the walleye spots. Now when guys keep these fish people hate seeing that.

Now guys are hoping to see Muskies put in Green Lake, If you think the lake has fishing pressure now. Load it with muskies, every landing will be full. I see it on several lakes around the cities.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• primetime49

• jigginjim

• sparcebag

• eyehead

jiggin it would be a good ten years before anyone even realizes if the muskies make it or not.

we need the landings full in order to keep stocking up ,and local economy thriving,this was once a resort area and it needs to get back to that .

lots of people coming here keep lots of attention on lakes being properly maintained.

if this area were left only for some local pressure nothing would ever get better around here.Most locals wont admit that walleye cannot even reproduce in Green Lake.

the DNR has stocked 70% of the walleye that are currently alive in the lake.And there is no sign of any natural reproduction at all.

The pressure you see around the twin cities is due to the population of that area.

Stocking more species of fish certainly cant hurt .

Lets get sauger and trout and others too.

In the local area there maybe 100 people that fish muskies, and I'd just take a guess there is 10 times that number that fish walleyes or would perfer to fish for walleyes. Muskies are a huge rush to fish when they bite, but they are called a fish of a 1000 cast for a reason. Don't start the battle for stocking a local with muskie with the prime walleye lake of Green. I bet if you pick a lake like St. Johns no one would say a word.

If muskies were put in Green 3/4 would caught and killed thinking they are northerns.

If you think the resorts will make a come back to green lake like there was in the 60's you better go see your doctor.

jiggin

we are adding places for recreation and no i dont think we will see anything like time of the past but this area does still make quite a good seasonal bonus from fishing.I dont need the doctor[i stayed at a holiday inn last night]

you are right on mortality on the fish that would be added,and it would not be just the fish killed by mistaking them for northerns.Many of the fishermen we have in this area have a musky on the wall from other lakes already.I guess they havent heard of fish replicas and CPR.

Make CARP a trophy fish--there's a lot of big ones in all lakes and catch and release is acceptable! I think it is.

I agree with the fellow fisherman that are in support of muskellunge on Green. I believe that stocking muskies will have very little to no threat to the walleye population on Green.

As I stated in an earlier post. Muskies target soft finned prey like suckers and carp. The spiny finned walleye, perch, bass, and panfish would not be the main forage. I think Green Lake could support a good population of muskie. The businesses would get a little more income from traveling fisherman from the south and west. Fisherman to the north and east already have established muskie waters in their areas, so I don't see them spending a great deal of time traveling to Spicer to fish them.

Plus, just think how all those wake-boarders, jet-skiers, and tubers would feel when there are fisherman out there whipping 18 inch baits lined with trebles at them grin.gif

Maybe a season, with no slot limit, of course, could be opened up the the jet-skiers. The ones doing tight circles for hours on end need to be put out of their misery, anyways. j/k of course.

Your right leech jet-skies stay a long distnce out when they can see that monster bait flying out. I do enjoy musky fishing that one in the picture measured 44". Brother-in-law was not happy that day. I caught 5 muskies in 6hrs. to his 0. This was his super musky lake, he was going to show me how to catch these skies. OPPS. But even the lakes around Buffalo with muskies get hit hard when the words out, the bite is on.

Hey guys Primetime is buying burgers? I know where there is tons of meat recalled from schools. sick.gif Maybe a burger fry at green lake beach.

Don't get it looked a this three times and didn't add one view.

How are we supposed to achieve recalled beef burgers.

By the way I'll bring some venison to grill!!!!

jiggin

I would hope that some people on this site can get together sometime this early summer at lake for a family picnic

maybe a game feed to keep last falls meat from getting to old

Those TV news clips with cows getting dragged around are very dramatic,kinda tenderizing.

Maybe thats the round steak that Super valu used as t bone and better cuts,does it make you wonder what we get every day?

Definatly the reason we eat what we catch,kill and gather

next person to write anything good or bad about muskie stocking gets one of the burger baskets we are anticipating

yes I am buying

Seriously, I think stocking muskies into non-native lakes has more positive potential than negative. Most of our lakes fish populations are "top heavy" with small / stunted panfish. Most of the Upper tier predators are abscent or populations too low to keep the stunted species in check. The fear of them cleaning out walleye populations is unwarranted. DNR studies, MN and WI, showed that walleye make up a very small percentage of a Muskies overall diet. I'm not saying they'd gobble up all the stunted sunnies either, but it would, maybe, overtime, re-distribute them out of the weeds and thus effect there overall "prosperity." The weeds are a very safe place for small fish and walleyes in most of our lakes, because of the lack of top predators. Muskies are not the answer in every lake though. I realize that. I think northerns have the same potential, IF they were allowed to grow to a size where they's get the attention of the masses of stunted pannies. IMO.

PS - thanks for the offer, but my wife says I don't need the burger basket. crazy.gif

I'll agree with that post goose...especially the part about muskies cleaning out walleye populations being unwarranted and that northerns could be the predator fish that lakes need IF allowed to grow to a decent size.

I've never targeted muskies myself (caught a 15 or so pounder fishing for 'eyes a few years back) but might get involved in it one of these years and don't see the harm in stocking them in green. I wish the local walleye anglers on Green would quit crying to the DNR and let the lake be managed for smallies like it should be.

I'm a relatively slim dude so the more burgers I eat the better \:\)

I was thinking that we are probaly going to have some sort of get together to discuss the musky this year.

You know burgers some DNR guys some Muskies inc and a bunch of us that want them in the lake.

Might ask Rambows how much it would cost for some T-shirts or maybe even some sweatshirts that would say MUSKY COMING TO A LAKE NEAR YOU?

And have the ever popular SPICER MN A QUAINT LITTLE DRINKING TOWN WITH A FISHING PROBLEM on the other side.

Do you think they would go over well?

Whats a good month to have a gathering?

Originally Posted By: primetime49

Might ask Rambows how much it would cost for some T-shirts or maybe even some sweatshirts that would say MUSKY COMING TO A LAKE NEAR YOU?

And have the ever popular SPICER MN A QUAINT LITTLE DRINKING TOWN WITH A FISHING PROBLEM on the other side.

Do you think they would go over well?

Whats a good month to have a gathering?

hahaha Aint that the truth primetime49.

• 2 weeks later...

Are Muskies coming to Koronis? I know that was mentioned in the opening post, but do we know? Would that be a good thing with the river flowing in and out of Koronis? Does that have an effect?

St. Cloud Muskies Inc initiated a stocking plan a few years ago and Koronis was high on the list. We ran into some pretty stiff opposition from the lake association there.

There are signs up at Green and Nest indicating they are designated musky lakes. More than likely these will be the lakes that are added. The Horseshoe chain is also on the list for alot of reasons, one of the biggest being that the locals are relatively in favor of introducing predator gamefish to cut down on the rough fish (and I don't mean catfish for those that enjoy that pursuit, we're not looking to wreck anyone elses fun)

We are afraid the long term DNR plan will limit us in our stocking efforts in this area in the next few years. Anyone looking for more musky opportunities should take a few minutes to email the DNR office. There are some great comments in the musky forum that can be copied and pasted.

It only takes one person on a lake association in favor of stocking muskies to potentially turn things around. We really need people who live on some of these lakes on our side. Things are on hold with the DNR now but it's a good time to rally the troops and do some campaigning because the battle for hearts and minds is constant. The majority of this process is done behind the scenes, so talk to people, take them fishing. Everyone in the state of Minnesota is going to be battling for their piece of the pie once the DNR gives the green light, so if we want ours we've gotta be willing to fight for it.

People need to realize that stocking a top predator like the musky, at worse, will have minimal effect on other populations of fish, and most times will improve the overall health of the fishery. It's a tought battle. At the very least, educate yourself on the politics and process so we have a firm base of support when we're ready to start stocking.

• 2 months later...

This is the letter I got from Bruce with the DNR today. I asked him if there was any new talk about getting a lake stocked around here after the long term Musky-Pike plan was finalized.

Nate, I have worked with the St. Cloud and Alexandria MI Chapters related to possible lake stocking options in the Spicer Area. We were trying to utilize lake owner contacts that MI anglers had as a way to make aconnection with lake association members and develop some local support.People tend to accept information from somone they know over information from a stranger. However, last year the Green Lake and Nest Lake associations sent strongly worded letters to the DNR Commissioner stating that they did not want any Muskie stocking on those lakes. There is a perception that Muskies can damage lake systems change fish behavior and change where anglers can catch their walleye or other favorite fish. Before a lake will be included into the Muskie stocking program it has

to fit biologically and have local support. This is something that will require some time. I recommend continuing to use your influence to change perceptions of Muskies.

Thats too bad... I think once those walleye fishermen catch a few 20-30 pound muskies their perceptions would change. Until then, looks like it could be awhile.

Do Muskie Just eat Walleye? Or is it Bass too. So if your fishing on green and you hook into one of these beasts and you feel the belly and it feels like a Eye (Longer fish) that guy will be upset and the next guy feels a 5 lb bass in the gut he'll go "man cant wait till next time I catch her she might get me the state record"?? shocked