• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Final score, 13-nuttin..... (3 pics added)

OK, here goes. Tyler put on a school yesterday crappie fishing on Lake Zumbro. He outfished me in a BIG WAY! A couple real decent ones too. (12" +)

We were fishing the deep wood and the crappies were tight to the bottom in 23 f.o.w. Every crappie he caught had the Power Bait deep in the mouth. They were for sure hungry. I just couldn't do anything right. I even applied the "When in Rome" tactic and that still didn't work.

No excuses, so Tyler, I bow the the master! tongue.gif

It was still a good time though. Getting out in open water again was a good thing. And although the wind and rain played havok with us we had a lot of fun.

B.T.W., Tyler, nice boat Dude!

"Unlucky - #13" Dan took ownership of the first part of that phrase.

The rain was wet for about 20 minutes, but the rest of the day its was easily fishable. We worked deep areas with wood nearby.

When I fish deep on the Zumbro, I really like to 1/8-1/16 oz jigs with Berkley Gulp minnow grubs in the 2" size. White is my personal favorite color, but I have not tried many others. I also caught some fish on 2" Power Bait - Power Minnows in black shad (with some flake) and brown shad.

I tried (and lost) several jig heads, but white caught the most fish for me.

The basic key was fishing slow. Really slow. Draging the jig across the bottom with a slow hop every couple feet. I would reel in about 6" of line, then pause for about 2 seconds, and repeat.

We marked fish 12-14' down, but they didn't seem active.

I got 2 new biggest open water crappies 11.5" & 12"

11.5"

ty_crappie1.jpg

12"

ty_crappie2.jpg

ty_release.jpg

All fish were CRP'ed again today. I should start using my livewell as a tackle box. cool.gif