• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Talcot Dam in trouble??

I was talking to a city guy in Windom and he said that there was a warning sent out to Windom about a possibilty of the Talcot dam breaking just looking for information

I live here in windom to there was a guy for the city telling me about it

hows the fiswhing been at the talcot dam the past couple years. i fished there about 8 yrs ago caught alot of walleyes but were all small caught a couple cats and several crappies. i was there on opener very crowded.

Talcot has been decent at times last opener there was a lot of real nice walleyes but hit and at the same time

I saw in the paper there were some fellers from the DNR at the dam tossing sandbags around the edges of it.

We've done well catching catfish near the dam.

You have coaught them this year already yah the used a 1000 sand bags and have something like 10000 more if needed

Yup. We got some real nice cats shortly after ice out.

I caught 3 cats in about 25 minutes fishing Leglers point Wednesday night all about 3 to 5 pounds. Was looking for crappies and too cold to find them.

from the talcot dam head south to the gravel road just before you hit 62 take that and weave around the corner take it up to a circle stop on the point and you are there. as for on the lake, put in at the landing by the beach and head towards the dam, on the east side it's the only point.

do you guys got any other good cat spots for early in the year

Lime Lake, the county park has a dam. Fish the lake side of the dam. Lotsa nice cats there.

Lime Lake: Born and raised in the S.W. but where are you talking about? tongue.gif

Thanks: I come down I may have to take my Father-in Law out< He's 83 and getting in and out of a boat is tough for him but he still loves to fish. laugh.giflaugh.gif

thoughts on the dam after this snow and has anyone seen the windom dam lately the whole east sides rocks have been pushed out what does everyone think about all the riprap pushed 20+ft in windom it doesnt look good if you ask me doesnt mean it will go now but it will but when its gone with a big flood 95% sure it would go with lots of water

Actually if you look at whats upstream from the dam in Windom not much water should flow out, there is so much silt and fill from the dam upwards to the hwy 62 bridge and alot of willow brush and cattails just up from there that it would not be an all out "flood pre-say heading out" if the dam would let out the water flow from the east side rocks. I just would like to see the DNR or whom-ever dredge the river from the dam all the way up past plum bay to get rid of the big island in the middle of the river and all of willows and cattails like it was back in the 70's.

I wont lie I dont know whatit was like the but I see what you are saying it would be awesome if they would just drudge it but the money they always say but if they want a river they need to do something even if means removeing the dam but that may still not cure the problem of all the silt

The county park on Lime Lake is a good spot for shore fishing. Plenty of room and it's a nice park too.

If you fish below the dam you have a real good shot at some wall hanging snot rockets. Plenty of carp and bullheads to keep a guy busy also. If you fish the lake side, especially to the west of the dam, you're in a good spot for kitty cats. The lake side, east of the dam to the boat landing is good for perch, cats, and snot rockets.

Thank you Boiler it sounds like a great spot to entertain the Father-in-Law where he will be able to get a tug on the end of his line and enjoy an afternoon. Thanks again cool.gifcool.gif Thats what fishing is about helping others

Thank you Boiler It sounds like a good spot to take my Father-in-Law with very little effort on his part and he will be able to get a tug on the end of his line. That to me is what the forums should be about laugh.giflaugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The (Contact Us Please) blew on wednesday when the good ole DNR took the sand bags out. The water ran for 4 hrs. Lots of 5 plus pound northerns trying to jump back into the refuge. They did get it plugged back up again. Thats a lot of water coming out though.