Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fish&Fowl

STF off to work

6 posts in this topic

STF,

I was just on my way up to the school to work on a project when I saw you suiting up by the Shag River to go do some photographing I'm guessing? I was the guy in the burgundy Chevy that waved at you. I was yackin' on the phone and turned around to come introduce myself quick but you had already snuck into the woods. Hopefully you're getting some pics of those beautiful goldeneyes that have been hanging around.

Hah, so that was you, eh? I just caught the wave out of the corner of my eye. I get pretty focused when I'm on the job and often don't notice the little things.

I made my way in about a quarter mile and sprawled out on my belly in the cattails for about four hours. I posted some of what I got in the birdwatching forum (since it's all birds). There were lots of hooded mergansers mixed in with the goldeneyes, and some mallards as well.

"sprawled out on my belly in the cattails"

I know this cat and well, to sprawl out on cattails takes some dedication. Steve is my guy!

Frank, it's just easier on my back and ankles and knees if I lay there flat out instead of kneeling or sitting. Plus, the lower I am to the ground the less "room" I take up in a duck's eyes. grin.gif

And Mrs. Catfish's anniversary gift last fall of premium Cabela's insulated Gore-Tex Shadowgrass camo bibs and three-in-one parka made it possible. No other way would I be laying in the squishy stuff. grin.gif

Yes that is some dedication. It was a pretty crummy day to be laying in that stuff, but a good day to watch ducks. Good gear is one thing ya can't cheap out on when you're going to be out in that weather. You didn't happen to see that big drake redhead or wigeon? I've seen enough hoodies to last me a few years, but they sure are pretty ducks!

Sorry, the only waterfowl I saw were hoodies and goldeneyes. Some giant Canadas flew over but didn't land. They headed for Winton instead, where there are a lot of them on the pond north of the highway. Looks like the storm is going to shut things off for a few days, but with luck I can get back down to the river for more ducky stuff. grin.gif