Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wall_guy_101

Cool Subject On Open Water Forum!!!!!!!!

6 posts in this topic

I posted a thread on the open water forum about largest waves experienced. We Mille Lacs fisherman should be able to put most to shame on this subject. Please respond on the open water forum. It's pretty neat to see....and funny

i and a fishing buddy will swear we were in 6 to 7 footers on the south shore of mille lacs with 25 to 35 mph north winds.

was also on lake superior with my 12' zed (zodiac type inflatable) & 25hp in 8 footers.

nothing that big, but dont want to do any bigger.

regards,

minnesotatuff

I was once caught in a typhoon off the coast of the Philipine Islands and experienced 25-35 foot waves. Fishing was great prior to it hitting Subic Bay. Caught a little hammer head. It was fun to fish but I'd rather be fishing in Minnesota! Anyday anytime.

In 2000 or 2001 on forth of July weekend, my buddy and his wife came up for the weekend to stay with us on Mille Laces for the weekend. They arrived around 8:00 p.m. We had dinner and chatted for awhile. It was a gorgeous night. Around 10:00 p.m. my buddy (Shane) and I decided to go out for awhile. We headed out past Shaw’s Reef and then Big Point. It was calm as it even could be. We were out around 3 mile and we caught a couple of walleyes. Nothing big, but the beautiful night took over the fact we were not slaughtering them. I would say around 12:30 or 1:00 am, we could see a small amount of lightning way off to the west and north. This storm was still by Brainerd and we had nothing to fear. A little while later, we had totally forgotten about the storm off to the west and we never saw lightning again that early morning.

I would say around 1:45 a.m. it hit us. The wind started to gust up around 30 or 40 mph and waves became to be some of the largest I had ever seen on lake. By then we had made our way out by 5 mile and found our selves in awe of what was going on. We started in. with motor trimmed way up, so boat’s bow was almost straight in air we headed in. Every tenth wave or so, you had to readjust boat position to head in the way you wanted. I would have to say the waves were 4 to 7 feet. They were big enough to put a 18 foot boat in the middle and not be able to see lights on shore from any direction. I love that feeling of being in waves like that. All sound of what is going on stops for a moment and when you are on top of wave all sound comes back. Now I will not say there was any beer on board, because beer could be a reason a person would be in a situation like this. Um aaaaaa, ooooo, may a little. I could not bring boat over 3-4 mph, even though I sport 105 hp. We just took our time and a wave or two over bow. The bilges were working over time that night. The waves over the bow were a good thing, because of the army worm epidemic we had that year. She was spot less the next morning. I learned my lesson that night and think of my self as lucky. Old Mille Laces can turn on you and fast! Does anyone remember when this occurred. It was forth of July weekend and a lot of people were out right before it hit. I know we were not the only ones that got caught in it. As clear as it was that night and report for the weekend was clear. I checked with others next morning and they also never were warned of storm. The rest of weekend was great. Image below is from the next day. If you slept threw it you would never know storm came threw. If you made it this far, sorry for long story. I just like writing about good times fishing.

SHACKBASH

URregInRyaYgCVzMKaAYOJ8kCh0VrhWT02EF.jpg

I am not so sure this is a good thing to be braggin about but anytime you are standing in a 21' boat and cannot see over the wave in front of you, you have reached ludicrous!

Hey, its is pure fun and adventure! Some people like bungee jumping and other like sky diving. Its all how experienced you are at what your doing. Also we all lived!