• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey guys,

Past years I've done some looper fishing around the French and Bluebird, and steelie fishing in the rivers up the shore a ways. Always get great tips here - thanks.

Anyway, I have a couple friends who have access to a house right by the mouth of the Knife for a weekend in April. I know the Knife has the steel (and loopers), but how is shore fishing the mouth? I'd like to introduce a couple friends to this type of fishing, and it's more practical than river fishing with them. Does the mouth of the Knife hold a few staging fish? Do they scatter throughout that little bay, or is fishing right at the mouth best?

Also, one time when I drove past in the spring I saw a couple guys fishing out from the mouth in a canoe. Gotta admit, given calm conditions I'd be pretty intrigued to throw my canoe in and troll around a bit (only with another experienced canoeist and staying close to shore). Anyone ever tried this? Longline spoons/ stickbaits well behind?

Thanks guys.

Cornfed

the knife has good shore fishing but i don't like doing the live bait sitting on the bottom thing because most of the fish you catch there are steelhead and they like to swallow the hook on a bottom rig. If i go there i use a looper bobber or a fly. I have tried trolling from a canoe with sticks and dipsys on the big lake and haven't had a lot of success. But i do know people that have done well doing it. Wait for a nice calm day and give it a shot!

I ony fish superior in a canoe...and I do very well. Of course I only go out when it's dead calm. I put an electric motor on and go out about twice as far as I'd be able to cast out from shore. I cast out and count down usually 10 to 15 seconds before I start reeling in. I prefer silver or silver & blue krocodile spoons, but I've done well with jointed rapalas and bright colored daredevils also. Now I do this up in the grand marais area, but I can't imagine it would be any different down by the knife river (probably could be better fishing there), but I've caught lakers, cohos, and chinooks. It's definitely an experience, feels alot different being out there in a canoe as opposed to an inland lake.

Ive never caught a looper there, only a few steelhead. If you are introducing someone to the sport you are probably better off at the french, (more fish)

I would agree with chadwick french hold more fish. hey JBAngler are you fishing for SMB on the big lake.

Easy buddy. I don't do that. It was a question. The lake holds some monster SMB.

RodNGun, sorry about that, I overreacted. You did ask an honest question there. But no, no smallies on the big pond for me (yet). Maybe if I go to cheyuamagen (check spelling) bay next year.

But hey, we got off on the wrong foot in the "walleye vs. smallie" thread...how 'bout we call a treuce and bury the hatchet?