Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crappiedriller

crappies on Rainy

6 posts in this topic

Hey all. Will be coming up next week to Rainy searching for crappies. Can someone help me out? I will be calling Woody's and Tearin' Lips today to see if they are available to hire, but if not, I will welcome all the help I can get. I have some awesome spots on the Canada side, but we will be staying on the Minnesota side this time. Please send me an email at rrubenzer@sehinc.com to keep any confidential information a secret. thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Crappie Driller,

Welcome to the Rainy Lake forum on the best fishing site on the Web. It's nice to have you on board!

Unfortunately I do not guide, your best bet would be to look into Woody if you are looking for a guide. I am currently down at college as well in Duluth. With that said I will try to help you out the best I can.

My best suggestion would be to first check on the ice conditions...I am not sure how good they currently are, but I know the ice is going fast down here. Personally I would stick to the Canadian waters and your good spots. Crappies in the American waters of Rainy are hard to find in the winter(though it is getting a little easier). If you truly want to stick with the American waters Sand Bay will be a good choice and its just a matter of drilling lots and lots of holes off of those breaks. Several of the islands heading towards American Narrows will have crappies on them as well.

As for gear stick with plastics. Don't be afraid to fish 'em a little heavier. This time of the year they will be cruising and looking for food. They will also be thinking about getting closer to spawning ground. That is why when you find them, you need to "make hay when there is hay to be made."

My top lure the last few years has been 1/8 oz. Northland Jigging spoons, but Southern Crappie Pro Tubes are a close second. Black and Green will be your best color. Fish 'em 20-30' and as I said drill lots of holes.

Take Care and Good Luck Fishing!!

thanks a ton Bill. I appreciate it. Also, can you send me your phone number in Duluth? Send it to my email address above if you could. I have a few more questions to ask if you don't mind. Thanks again.

HI C.D.,

IF YOUR GOING TO GO OUT & TARGET CRAPPIES ONLY ON THE AMERICAN SIDE NEXT WEEK...I WOULD SAY GOOD LUCK, YOU MAY CATCH SCATTERED ONES HERE & THERE, HOWEVER, WHEN I GO FISHING CRAPPIES, I LIKE TO GO WHERE I KNOW THERE ARE SCHOOLS OF CRAPPIES...MOST ALL LOCALS ARE FISHING THE CANADIAN SIDE THIS TIME OF THE YEAR.

I WILL GIVE YOU CREDIT FOR ONE THING, YOUR GUNG HO!!!

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Hey Bill,

Look me up when you get back into town if you want. I will be staying at Woody's wed. through sat. Stop in to say HI and I can let you know if I found any crappies or not too. Or, if you like, you can call me too on my cell........715-790-6621. Take care.

Sounds like a plan crappie driller...Hopefully I will be in town on friday, but there is a slim chance that I will be in Saturday morning.

Take Care and Good Luck Fishing!