Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mark13:33

Thoughts on the water conditions?

3 posts in this topic

It wasnt long ago that there were one or two algae blooms

per summer, now every time the wind goes down it turns

pretty green. There have been water experts up doin tests

for the last couple of years.

You are correct not to worry yet, it is not being ignored.

I to am not terribly worried.

Problem is, there are two sides to the River. Kinda hard for us to justify the $10K it took to remove our sewer drain field from the river bank (to eliminate any short-circuiting), when there is a Canadian cattle feedlot a 1/2 mile up that drains directly into the river & most likely contributes more phosphorus in a 1" rain event than we did in a year.

They actually run a fence down into the river to give the cattle water access. Really makes me bristle when I sled by & there is a 2' deep pile of manure lining the bank & built-up on the ice.

Any question where the phosphorus comes from?

We still have some issue with old residential Individual Sewage Treatment Systems (ISTS) on our side and Kooch & LOW counties would do well to require inspections at sale of property but things are definitely improving.

Awareness is the first step of correcting any problem. Looks like we're heading in the right direction.