Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wall_guy_101

Largest seen/ experienced waves on leech!!!!

12 posts in this topic

This dude i know says he was in the midst of 8-10 ft. rollers while fishing leech lake. Please confirm my thoughts that he is a heavy drug user. Sincerely, Me. wink.gif

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif Confirmed !!! I will say this : I have seen the waves get mighty wicked on Leech, even took a few over the back of the boat, but they tend to get more violent than big. IMO..Other than maybe the great lakes, there isn't an inland lake capable of 10 footers.

I doubt the 8 to 10' wave story. I have actually measured waves on Leech by laying on the end of a dock with a tape measure. Very few are more than 3' from valley to peak, and that is with the wind blowing straight in, very hard from the west, 25 to 35 mph. It does seem that the waves flatten out slightly near shore so they might be a foot or two higher out on the lake.

well i dunno about leech but on mille lacs one time i was fisghing adn there were about 4-5 footers in a thunderstorm!

I have been fishing leech lake for over 20 years and I have not seen 8-10 footers. I do however remember a day on the lake that I thought the waves were 6ft. They may have been I didn't mesure. but a 4 ft wave makes for a fast drift smile.gif

Hey gents......

Istarted this same thred on the open water forum. You guys should go and check it out and write your responses on their. Their's some pretty good TALL TALE wave stories if i must say. Thanks for the responses...

I remember 3 years ago watching the fall evinrude tourney going out on a sunday with 35 mph winds out of the north. We drove up to Stoney Point to watch those guys and all i can say is NO WAY!!! Granted for $50,000 maybe. It seemed like the boats literally got sucked in between the waves and disappeared! I couldn't imagine running from walker to federal in those conditions. By the way, do you really jig in those conditions???? And if so do you use a 4 lb jig! shocked.gif

Been out in honest 3 footers with an occasional 4 footer mixed in. Not fun, thankfully I needed to head straight into them to get home. Talk about a slow ride.

I heard people exaggerate about the size of leech, saying you can not see land in any direction when your out in the middle of the main lake. crazy.gif Yes it's big but not that big!

I have seen some decent sized waves on Leech, probably 4 footers tops, but if you have ever been in between Ottertail point and Stoney point just about over the snake pit, the wind can drill you from ALL directions making it one of the wickedest lakes in the state. crazy.gif

I remember watching BIG waves by stony pt.,in the boat, the wind was coming from the south. Was going to bear island, not a chance with that wind. Waves were 4 to 6 ft. Need on of those 30 ft boats.

I read Fellegy's "30 years on the Big Lake" book about his time as a launch captain on Mille Lacs. In the book he had a section of "frequently asked" questions. This included the usual "What were the biggest waves you have ever seen on Mille Lacs?" question. He said the biggest waves he had ever seen there were in the 6-7 foot range and he went on at length about how rare that was and how people tend to naturally exaggerate wave height. Waves on Leech aren't going to be any bigger than Mille Lacs.

There are some great stories in the open water forum, some must have been 20' waves,but all in all great reading the posts, I do not know what you said to make some mad but it must have been a dandy