• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

lakers from the shore

Ive heard several people talking about catching lakers from shore in duluth. this happens about now, right? Does anyone here have any sugestions on where to go? what to use? smelt? spoons?

The best time is in the fall when they come in to spawn. There is really good Laker fishing when they plant the looper's at the rivers they are in thick eating them young loopers confused.gif. But you can find them but it is like finding a needle in a hay stack. Well key in on fish magnets like points, Rivers, breakwalls. Cleo's krocs, and other spoons that are heavy enough to cast out far enough. Hope others can chime in and help you good luck grin.gif.

Your odds of catching lakers from shore are better at any season if you are fishing near deep inshore water. The supper club up the shore a bit from Duluth is one location that occasionally produces. Stony Point also yields lakers from shore sometimes.

Over several seasons, I caught more lakers off the Two Harbors breakwall than any other species there. About 35 FOW on the harbor side, and from 60 to 80 FOW at the end of a cast on the lake side of the wall. Don't know anywhere else within 20 minutes of Duluth you can find that deep of water while casting from shore. Well, not shore, exactly, but you don't need a boat and you can walk to it. grin.gif

I have only had luck in the fall right before the season closes, but I have also have heard that they can be very easy to catch when the loopers are stocked. The lakeside of mcquade harbor might be a spot to check out early spring and then again this fall.

Is that in the spring? how do I find out when they are stocked?

I have caught a few lakers at the lester, brighton beach, supper club, stoney point and Im betting McQaids will also be a good spot. About 85% of these were in the fall within the last 3 weeks of the season. Also loopers and stealies mixed in. Its not a numbers game but when a stealie slams your spoon 25' from shore and almost spools ya you know your havin fun. grin.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

As others have said Fall will be your best bet to get Lake Trout from shore. There are other times too. If you get the right combination of water temps and the wind, Lakers will come in close. As Steve mentioned getting situated next to deeper water like the TH Breakwall will better your odds at Lakers from shore during summer. If the rivers get high water in summer that will bring lake trout in also. A combination of hatches and smolting is what those Lakers are coming in for IMO.

Don't forget about the possibility of tying into a few salmon while casting from shore.

When the smelt start running you can catch them off Park Point at night. blush.gif

If the water is flat calm you can launch a canoe w/ electric motor and cast for lakers. I've had very good success in the spring doing that farther up the shore, I don't see why the duluth area would be any different. And yeah, you'll for sure have good chances of catching salmon too. I normally go out about twice as far as I'd be able to cast to from shore, then cast out using the count down method. But don't be too adventurous, you don't want to be too far away if the wind picks up. I prefer krocodile spoons, silver or silver & blue are my favorites. I've also caught them on jointed rapalas of the same color.

Quote:

When the smelt start running you can catch them off Park Point at night.
blush.gif

Isn't that illegal.

"Isn't that illegal"

No, as long as your using rod and reel. Can't net them of course.

Really. Even at night? Well in that case I'll bring the long rods and rod holders.

If you're going to fish them while people are netting smelt, it may be better to put on the chest waders and cast spoons or minnowbaits out past where the netters are. You can cover a lot more ground and find active fish casting than using the rod holders and fishing them with a still presentation.

Lake Superior is open to fishing at night...just not in most of the rivers. I have heard of guys still fishing fresh dead smelt and catching them...I think using live smelt is illegal? I have never tried it myself but I think im gonna try it this year. Wading and tossing a minnowbait sounds like a good idea. Yes, I would try to get away from the seiners. From personal experience as far as catching lakers from shore...definitely in the fall as late as possible before the season closes when they move in shallow to spawn. I wish they would leave the season open a little longer at least for the shore fishermen. Maybe a boat season and an extended shore season. With the populations rebounding a few shore fisherman arent going to hurt it. About the time they really move in and the shore fisherman gets a shot the season closes.