Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishgetter

Alma

20 posts in this topic

Any action in Alma yet? I am heading over Sat. Morning

Please post how it goes. I have been thinking its time to make a run there for some action.

Thanks & good luck this saturday.

Holy crap boys! I was at the Alma Float today and I have never seen so many HUGE walleyes caught in one day there before. This one kid was really on the spot right in front of the restaurant and nailed 10 fish between 7 - 10 lbs. and one dandy he kept that was 11 1/2 lbs. to mount. There were monster jumbo perch thick as fleas in the shallows so the big walleyes and 8 - 10 lb. northern pike were in there munching on them. The only way to get bit seemed to be using the big 1/2 to 5/8 oz hair jigs they sell on the float for $2 each. They have a ton of colors but yellow and black was the one to have. There were guys fishing jumbo perch with worms, guys fishing big northerns with sucker minnows and most everyone else was pitching these hair jigs. I mostly vertical jigged one of the hair jigs or a sonar in a bunch of different spots. The pitching jigs was much more productive than my plan but I did get a nice eater walleye, some saugers and perch. My advice, forget the boat (I didn't see anyone catch anything in the boats up there), hop on the float, buy some hair jigs and pitch them up toward the dam on the shallow side and you will do fine. Good luck!

Hey thanks for the info. I know of these hair jigs I fish there often for cats and the eye's. I hope they stay on till Sat. sounded fun. That spot in front of the Cafe is hot most of the time if they are biting. Now I am all pumped up. I will let you all know how the bite is doing Sat. P.M. I will be on the float from 6a.m. to 6p.m. I will be wearing tan and brown camo rain gear as it is going to be raining most of the day it sounds like. Until Sat. evening good fishing boy's.

Well, it's 9:30 PM and no report about your no doubt grueling (weatherwise) day at the float. Did ya kill 'em?

are they open everyday thinking of going tomarrow

First I would like to say sorry for not posting on Sat. night I didn't get in till 930 and had to put the kids to bed. And yes the float is open everyday 6a.m.-6p.m. The weather was not that bad only rained a little in the morning and only for a total of about a hour. We had a really good day. We (a buddy) brought home 8 or 9. We let the small ones go. It was slow from about 10-3. In the A.M. we did well my buddy hit 2 pike 8-10lbs right off the bat. I myself caught all kinds, nothing that big. My hat goes off to you Matt nice pike. He also caught a 26.5lb Buffalo. Nasty thing. Put a smile on our face and everyone on the float. Tons of carp and red horse to be caught. I think a couple of warmer day's and the Wally's will be on heavy. We caught everything on the dark colors- Black, Black-yellow,and Black-Purple. No minnow's they wanted the plain jigs. Don't get me wrong they would hit the minnow but it didn't help so why buy them if not needed. We fished in the shallows mostly and I tried fishing a three way for wally's but not even a hit so it had to be the hair jigs or nothing. Casting worked, however I caught all mine vertical jigging. All in all a blast and I will be back in a couple of weeks. For the day. I have it booked for a overnight in May we do well then as well on Cats and Wally's however last yr. the Sheep Head drove use all crazy but still fun to catch. Well I hope this helps. Oh and by the way leave your boat at home it didn't look like they where catching much. A few people had there boats docked to the float and fished off the float. Well if you have time head on down, Tim and Jim will treat you to a nice meal cooked in the cafe out there and they also have bait and jigs all you need is a pole. And the price on the float for bait or jig's is pretty low. Good Luck

Does this float fish south of the dam? I have fished there and never seen it out.

It is at the bottom of the Dam. Go into town down broadway to the old Kwik Trip and go behind the building to park. Then cross the tracks and you will see a little dock for the pick up. Raise the neon green board they will be over in about 15 min. to pick you up. $15 to get on for all the fish you can catch. Bring extra cash for the mm mm good food out there. Oh and if you fish like Matt bring alot of extra cash for jigs, he hooked every snag in the river on Sat.

Please read forum policy before posting again, Thank-You

Sorry I missed that part I won't let it happen again.

E-mail me for the Alma Float page.

MY BAD shocked.gifblush.gif

I went to the float today the bite was decent not alot of size out of 15 fish three were keepers we only fished till 2 someone caught a 11 lb 4 oz wally last night man i wish it was mine he said its goin on the wall seen a few northerns some nice perch and some big carp all in all we had a great time the food was great and the service was awesome we will definitly be goin back we used 3/4 oz jigs tipped with fat heads brighter colors seemed better

Just going thru some fishin reports, sounds like alma is going pretty good. I dont know where this is located, & is there any boat landings Thanks for any info !

You can get to Alma by going through Wabasha over the bridge to Wis. go to Nelson and take a right at the gas station. then go till you come to Alma. It is about 15min. from Nelson. If you go most of the way through town you will see a boat ramp on your right. However they haven't been doing very well in boats because they can not get as close to the (Contact Us Please) as you can on the float. Not saying you couldn't do it but I have taken my boat before and not catch any thing but the guys on the float nail them so the float is your best bet. Either way you are out of the house and wetting a hook good luck.

I did find alma on the map, my problem was i was looking along the river in minn. I take the current is very strong? I thought I read people are using 3/4oz. hair jigs. Thanks for the info!

Today I liked the 5/16 & 3/8. I rarely use 3/4, but not out of the question.

Maribou like feathery or bucktail jigs?

Any thing happening on the float in the last couple days with the cold front? thinking about going on saturday and don't want to freeze for nothing.

This is a pay to fish float after the (Contact Us Please) in Alma, WI then?

Rugbyguy and I spent all day at the float and unfortunately didn't get a bite. The fishing was really slow. A few guys had about 4-5 saugers from the morning bite but that was the most action that we saw all day. A couple of northerns were picked up but no size to them. I am sure that the weather had a lot to do with the bite. It was definately a fight against the wind and sub freezing temps. Good luck on Saturday. Hopefully it heats up a bit.