Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thundercluck

Lac La Croix

3 posts in this topic

I am heading up to Lac La Croix this spring. Does anyone have any good advice for this lake. I've never been there, but have heard a lot of great things. Any help with bait types, colors, species of fish would be great. Thanks

Drift jig mid lake humps and rock piles as well as troll spinners along shorelines and points that will look good. You will catch eyes, smallie and the pike will come take them all of your hooks or you will get a bonus pike.

I used to go there twice a summer and never fails bay is good as are any current areas, bottle necks you may find with current. Some of the biggest smallies I have ever caught were sitting in the canoe and tossing slip bobbers with leeches up into big boulder areas. Inline spinners like Mepps will also catch you a mixed bag.

Dont leave your fish on a stringer over the boat or on shore too long or they wont be there when you get back. Betwen pike, turtles (Big) and 4 legged critters they will get your catch.

Have fun its a beautiful area.

I've fished the north end of the lake quite a bit in the spring from opener into early June. I've had pretty decent luck for Northerns and Bass on the south side of islands in shallow water. The lake is somewhat stained so I used perch colored Rapalas with good luck. I'm not much of a walleye fisherman so I can't help you out with that. There are also a couple of lakes one portage in from the north end that hold some lakers. I typically flat line with larger Rapalas for them or else use a salted cisco while sitting around camp. Good luck and have fun.