• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Redwing Fishing

I'm new to Redwing area looking to go fishing on Friday. Any suggetions where to put in or to buy bait. I plan on fishing by the dam. Any help would be great. Thanks.

your best bet is to launch at Everts Resort. There is a $7.00 charge but you can get the latest info on what is working (if anything lately!!) from Dean. You can also buy minnows, hair jigs, etc... right there as well. Dean will give any info you need. Great place to start if you haven't fished the dam area before.

good luck and stay dry!!

I'd have to go with Everts also. Good luck Mr.Diesel, the water temps should be in your favor. Have fun!!

I went through Everts and it was great.. Even gave me a fishing report, which unfortunately ended up being true... The bite was REALLY slow... This was a couple weeks ago though, I'm sure its heating up now

Dean will always give you the real story. If the bite is slow he'll tell you but he will also let you know what has been working. Pool 4 eyes are fickle and color and presentation can change in a minute and sometimes the bite is just a few minutes in duration. Start with what Dean suggests but be ready to switch it up. I always carry an assortment of ringies, paddletails, Kgrubs, hair jigs, blades and power minnows early in the spring. Add an assortment of crankbaits for late spring. Not unusual for me to try all of the above during the course of a day.

why go into wisconson and pay to launch when we have a very good landing at bay point park in redwing.also we have a complete line up of all your favorite lures and live bait.we are located rite close to the landing.we also guide the river so we can give you top notch advise where the fish are biting.good luck ike.

Ike,

Just wandering where your located and your hours...Thank You. I like to stay out of Cheeseville when possible. grin.gif

Being a small businees owner myself I try to support all small businesses, Including yours Ike wink.gif Besides I hate the packers not wisconsin lol.

Is there a coffee pot at the launch that I'm missing? grin.gif

See you when/if it quits raining Ike.

Dan

Quote:

why go into wisconson and pay to launch when we have a very good landing at bay point park in redwing

I think I can answer that question.

If it's your first time to Dean's landing, your launch is free.

Dean is awsome at networking and getting a number of items fisherman just can't seem to get anywhere else. I know he has some hard to get Hot N Tots and some Raps in some of the canadian colors that a person just can't find anywhere else.

Free on the water demo of St Croix Rods...thinking of buying a Croix? Not sure you want to spend that kind of money? Take it out with you for a day and try it.

There's at least a doz guides that go out of his docks, not because they have to...but because Dean has treated them so well.

He's treated me so well that I drive 20 extra minutes one way, to launch my boat there.

I 'spose this could be considered a shameless plug...but you asked the question. smirk.gif

Now I just need to find someone that has ruined a perfectly good cat boat and made it into a eye boat to go fishing with sometime. crazy.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Do they have docks in at everets in case I have to launch solo? There wasn't any in the public landing there the last time I went.

Last time out the weather was nasty as it gets, the water is very clear for here and it appears to have dropped almost a foot in the last couple days, but at that time the gates were still wide open.

The tail end of the spawn now.. which means fish straggling back and less concentrated but the distribution is good because it also disperses boats. The saugers are fairly well concentrated yet and they are biting a little harder, not so much the slow pull sucking type bite.

Some people object to blade baits due to the snagging image it evokes amoungst purists, but I can tell you this, when fish are active ..like now, the flutter of a blade bait draws w-pike like fish in, like a magnet. I have been very partial to orange and yellow, although other colors work for other people seemingly as well.

The trick is to learn a very careful drop, keeping the line

tight and controlling a gradual drop, I cannot recall a single strike coming from the uplift phase of yo yo-ing a blade.

Very few people seem to be able to master the quick response to a fish grabbing and spitting out a chunk of iron. I would suspect (never having seen it) that a sauger spits the bait as quickly as an ice bluegill.

The blade bait is like a hammer, you can build a home with it , or kill someone with it, depending on whose hands it's in.

If you don't see the need for them in your arsenal, good for me because it is a fish catching bait.

They are great for trout and sm bass on sunken rock islands also.

On that same note I want to let a cat out of the bag that works very well for me over wings as migrations of spawner turn to feeding dispositions. I love cranking Rattle traps over wings in the morning..what is a trap ? basicly a blade bait that suspends slowly..the shape and action are the same and that is an irresistable action to all fish including chinooks and lakers.

It looks like a great weekend for trout opener here on our local creeks, and the week long forecast looks great for walleyes and saugers here.

I'll be out most of the week and nows the time just about all methods work well. I like fishing a tight line phelps floater on a 2oz. pencil weight now with a fathead.

Deano always has 1 dock out for sure.

Fourseasons it right on about the blades. I was a believer that they were a snaggers bait until a fellow fisherman that I know and trust was talking to me about them. He's promised to take me out..now just working on the scheduling. Keep your line tight and use a good rod.

He's been doing well on the gold and Firetiger colors. I'm not sure how many over 8 pounders he's landed and released...but my mouth always drops when I see them.

Another presentation that was bringing in larger fish today was dragging over the clam beds. The boats that where employing this tactic did better than most. Nothing like a smack of a walleye/sauger while dragging.

With the warmer temps this week is going to be awesome!

Pool 4 always amazes me!

Good Fishen!

I could have said so much more on the blade topic, but not everything comes to mind at once. A couple points I neglected to make were as follows.

Important:

Use a bright colored 15# power pro or super braid type line...you need to be a line watcher.

2. Pick either a 1/2 or 1/4 oz. size depending on ability to contact bottom.

3. It is not just a vertical bait....it can be cast and retrieved.

4. In certain situations it is also a very good trolling bait...just slow down and make sure it's bumping bottom and you can feel the vibe...fast tip, or soft rod.