• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Last Season Turkey

woody1975

My daughter (11 years old) wanted to go turkey hunting very bad this ear. Well long story short, we didn't get drawn for our 1st or 2nd choice and the surplus thing didn't work out either for the choice we wanted. The last season has some tags available and I was wondering if anybody has had any luck with that season. I have hunted about 5 years, so I have a lot to learn yet, but I'd sure like to get her out.

My intial thinking was that the earlier seasons will be better because of less pressure, but when all of those fell through I wasn't sure. I understand it is going to be a challange, but we have some pretty good land to hunt. I don't want to put the emphasis on harvesting a bird, just the joy of the hunt.

I have never hunted the last season and would like to try, just wanted to know what everybody thought.

DL

If it's good land, with a good population, that isn't overly pressured, I feel the late seasons are as good if not better than early ones, as it is a lot more rare for the Toms to be henned up. They are still in full breeding mode but the hens are sitting on their nests, but the Toms are more than willing to come a runnin' to your calling hoping to get in that one last breeding.

If you are relegated to public land or land that has been pressured, you will be better off with less calling and patterning a bird to set an ambush. There will be less Toms and the ones remaining have seen everything everything in the earlier seasons.

Good Luck!

Ken

I took a bird with my bow the last week last year. I hunt private land. The mid afternoons were very productive for me. Is this your daughter's first hunt? Will you be using a blind or playing run and gun?

I have hunted as late as E and always had a good hunt and harvested a turkey. Do your homewotrk and go. Cannot get one without going and you still can have a good time.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I've hunted season c-h. I've had turkeys in every one of the seasons. Even the last season can be very good.

I'll echo what's been said above, adding that last season I had much more success calling in birds for folks during the last two seasons over all other periods combined! This includes hunting other states! Don't overlook the last seasons, as so much depends on pressure, population, and unseen environmental variables as Labs stated.

Joel

A few years ago I had a last season tag and I got a jake. Two came in on me and I took the better shot. This was early into my hunt on public land in 346. No complaints on the late season tag from me.

I'll hunt any season that I can get drawn for. I figure that I'd rather be out in the woods looking for Mr. Longbeard than sitting at work wondering why I'm not in the woods. I've shot most of my birds in late seasons. tactics change, but it's all fun.

Thank you for the posts. We walked in to get my daughter a license and the guy told me he sold the last one that was available. She was bummed. I am going to get an archery license and see if I can't get on with the bow. She'll come with and experienced the hunt at least.

Good Luck to everybody huntin'

DL

I think you hit nail on the head when you said you weren't going for the harvest but the experience. That's why hunting is called hunting and fishing is call fishing. I love to hunt and fish for the enjoyment of good old Mother Nature and harvesting is the bonus.