• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm hunting Saskachewan this year!!!!!!!!

setterguy

Just got off the phone with a buddy of mine, here's how the conversation went.

My phone rings,

"Hello"

"Hey I know October is a busy time for you but I just got invited to go hunt 5000 private acres with access to up to 20000 in Saskatchewan this year, he said I could bring a buddy so I thought I would try you first..."

"Are you *&^%$*&^)ing kidding? I will make it work, how much is this going to cost?"

"He said if you brought 600 bucks you would come home with change, oh yeah we will be hunting waterfowl for two days in North Dakota before we head up to hunt deer, he said your shoulder will hurt from all the birds up there."

"You're not jacking me around right, cause I will come and hunt you down and kick your a$$ if your yanking my chain."

"Nope, its a done deal. I will call him right now and let him know we are coming. He also said that we will most likely make enough contacts that we will be able to hunt here every year if we want."

"I love you man."

I'm as giddy as a school girl right now, I've never wanted to have a summer go by more quickly than I do right now. Big buck country here I come....

SWEET! That's some kind of deal you got into there! $600 is chump change for that kind of an opportunity...

A trip of a lifetime for sure. Looks like you have a great trip for the fall. cool.gif Now, the wait. frown.gif

I still can't believe it. I guess my buddy works with this guys wife. He is from this small town Near Regina and we will be staying at their bunkhouse and all the tree stands and everything are already there. I had been casually looking at booking a trip like this and the prices were anywhere from 3500-6000 dollars. The place we are going is shotgun/bow only but who cares!!!!!!

The the only question that remains is whether you will be able to pass up on those 120-130 inch bucks and wait for the 300lb 160 inch bruiser to come by! Good luck!

Congrats! A truely great opprotunity. Just remember to post pictures for the rest of us!

That's awsome Man!!!! Shooting ducks in ND and big bucks in Canada. You cant beat that combo cool.gif

I thought that in Sascatchewan, non-residents could only hunt with licensed guides. The guides are licensed by the queen (ie. the government) and have limited numbers of licenses for non-residents --- that's why the prices are so high.

Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe that's only for the northern part of the province where I've hunted before, but you may want to look into it a little more just to be sure. Good luck.

I actually asked that question and I guess the guys cousin or something is still a licensed guide but doesn't run his camp officially anymore, that is how they get around the high $$$. I know what your talking about though, I was concerned about the very same thing.

Do you need someone to carry your luggage or be gun toter??? If so, I'm it!!! smile.gif

What an opportunity! Is it that you have to hunt with a licensed guide or can you also hunt with a land owner? I thought it was both? Anyone know for sure?

As I read the rules it states that you must hunt with an outfitter, of which we have one that will allow us to use his number...I don't know about the landowner thing. That would make sense if you had family ect.

I should have been more clear in my first post.

It is technically the Outfitter that gets the rights to a certain area from the Queen, and gets an allotment of tags that he has to pay for - maybe 25 whitetail tags and 10 bear tags for example. The tags are only valid in that Outfitter's specific area.

Outfitters could have non-resident hunters only in their own Outfitting areas, ie. there wouldn't be multiple Outfitters hunting in the same area unless they were in agreement on it. Non-residents could only hunt by buying a tag that originally came from an Outfitter, and could only hunt in the northern portion of the province. That's one reason the tags are so expensive, the Outfitter is paying for the hunting rights to his area and is paying for the tags whether they get used or not. And there was a LONG line of guys waiting to buy out Outfitters and take over their areas.

The Outfitter might do the guiding himself, might have guys help him with the guiding, or might sell his tags to a guide (or guides) and not be involved in the hunting at all. I have hunted there in all of those scenarios ---- on one of the hunts I was on we booked with a guide, and he had a couple tags from one Outfitter and a couple tags from another Outfitter, so members of our party were hunting in different Outfitter's areas.

Saskatchewan residents could hunt on any public land during any open season, we ran into a few locals especially during the moose and deer seasons.

I don't know if there are any requirements to be a "guide". I don't know if hunters are required to be with the guide, we were except for when we were on stand, but we were WAY back in the bush.

I sure wish I was going up there again.

very jealous.....I myself Had an oppertunity and have one next fall to go to ND for a long weekend of duck hunting Might have to make it work this yr crazy.gif