Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
markzeke

using power pro line

5 posts in this topic

I started using power pro line last year when pulling bottom bouncers and crawlers. I really liked the line and was wondering if jig fishing do I need a mono leader or can I tie the jig directly to the power pro line.

Thanks

I like tying direct. However if I am in an area where I am getting lots of snags. I might run a small mono leader so I can break off easier when snagged. With power pro you will usually straighten the hook before breaking the line.

Quote:

With power pro you will usually straighten the hook before breaking the line.

.....or destroy your reel. I did that to one of my spinning reels last year fishing in Canada (lots of snags).

I never thought of the mono leader (should have), but next time that's what I'll be doing. smirk.gif

I use Power Pro on all of my walleye rods for every presentation.

Lake Vermilion has slightly stained water so I have always just tied my jigs directly to the Power Pro.

I use a mono leader on my lindy type rigs most of the time but have also used lighter # test Power Pro with good results.

If you fish very clear water just tie a small swivel to your Power Pro then add a 2' to 3' mono leader.

Cliff

I tie direct 90% of the time. If I tie on a mono leader for jigging I use a back to back uni knot. It goes through guides without a problem or having to worry about cracking a guide.

Only in clearer water do I use a mono leader. Big thing is dont get snags out with your rod/reel. It will brake themup. Either tie around a pliers or piece of something hard or point your rod right at the snag and grab your spool so it doesnt turn and pull straight back.