• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Coming up may 18th...

I'm coming up may 18 with 3 others guys...where's the best bets for a few wallys and some pike? Strictly C&R but maybe some perch for the table

Greetings IGOTWORMS,

You might be eating worms if your thinking of putting some perch on the table. Many of the perch on the lake have worms, and though might not hurt you, may deter your thoughts for tablefare. As of your original question on walleye/pike structure to fish come middle of May I would suggest fishing rather shallow shoreline related structures. Black bay will probably be going good though will likely be a bit treacherous unless we get some needed rain. Current areas will hold fish this time of year also. May want to check back closer to your trip for up to date information.

Work the weedlines, rocky points in 4-10 feet of water for your best success. Areas to look for are the most obvious spawning bays and the most publisized as well. Black Bay is a good start, but look to other bays with similar structure. Islands that have a shallow bar off of an end or points adjacent to a sandy spawningg site are also key areas. My favorite technique is to slow troll a jig, or a lindy rig this time of the year, but I have had great success trolling shallow running rap/reef runners as well.

As for the perch question, I have caught many perch in Rainy that haven't had worms. They are a great fish to eat and can be scrappy fighters. One year we got into a school of jumbos ice fishing and iced 20 jumbos between three of us, of which only one had worms. Last spring we always got into them when we got in shallower than where the 'eyes were holding. As long as the "wormy" fillets are prepared properly, there will be no problems.

Stay tuned for updates as time approaches for your trip, if you have any further questions the helpful crew on this forum will be more than happy to answer them.

Take Care and Good Luck Fishing!!

Cleaned about 100 perch this year and about 80% had worms. I suppose one could eat leeches also, but I guess I'm not that hungry. I do know many people whom flick them out with a fillet knife though. Typically you will see the worms if you look at there gills.

No no no, Black Bay is a horrible place to fish! Nothing but bullheads and carp. Stay away! wink.gif OK I'm kidding. Black Bay can be a good spot. As the guys said shallow moving water is the best bet early in the year. A jig and minnow is my go to set up early. I've done real well on spinners too.

Hopefull we get some rain or it will be tough going this spring. The local marina's better stock up on props and replacement skegs.

Thanks for the info guys...

What about the area around the rat root...a bit deeper and there's some current. But you guys are concerned about water levels, huh?

The reason why we are concerned about water levels, is that Black Bay(as well as other) are shallow bays. Low water levels expose hazards that normally wouldn't be a problem.

As far as the Rat Root, you can usually pick up a few fish in there during that time of the year. The same techniques that I mentioned before work well there too.

Take Care and Good Luck Fishing!!