Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kgpcr4

Smelt run story. I dont think they spawn under the ice

3 posts in this topic

I saw in a post about smelt spawning under the ice. About 14 years or so ago it was a cold spring and not to much was happening with the smelt until may. On opening weekend of fishing a friend and it headed up to the point on that Sunday night. when we got up to Duluth we were told the ice just blew off the point that day. Well we went down to teh end of the point and some guys were coming back up and were carrying a cooler. Each guy had a handle. we asked them if there were any smelt in and they just grunted and said yeah a few. Well we went down and the first pull we filled a 48qrt cooler. I wish i knew how to post pics. it was unreal 65 and not a bit of wind and you could see the lake was like glass. we went out about 25ft from shore just past the first little dip and made a pull and another cooler full. it was fun to stand in the lake with your light off and then turn it on and look at all of them. It was unreal.we spent about 5 hours out there the northern lights were going and it was so nice we just had a few brews and took it all in. that was one smelt run i will remember forever. I started smelting in the glory days of smelting but that one was unreal. Opening weekend of fishing in May. who would have thought it.

It will neever Happen shocked.gif.

Thanks for the story.

We smelt right up to May. By then everyone has enough smelt. Could you put off smelting till May, yes but then your gambling on getting them.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Bdeanpete
      I want to give an honest review of Steve and north county auto. He saw my post on here of a fisherman in need and offered his service. I looked around and could have taken my hub to get repaired at multiple places closer to me than Crystal, but decided to give another fisherman a try.    This was a perfect experience.  He was willing to meet me outside of normal business hours to accommodate my schedule. The stitch up appears totally solid (double stitched) and Steve even warranteed the repair. The price was more than fair and he's a nice guy to boot.    I'd definitely recommend this place if you're in need of canvas repair. He does a bunch of other things for the open water fisherman as well.    My apologies if this somehow violates any rules on the forum (I never looked) but my experience was a good one and wanted to pass it along. 
    • RainyRat
      We did not go all the way out this weekend so I can't say for sure where 'most' were fishing.  Since you can literally go anywhere, there were no real "concentrations" of houses that I saw.  Everyone was spread out real nice except I did see quite a few houses fishing in closer to Pine, near the snowmobile trail, based on the distance (maybe a mile or mile and a half out?) I would guess they were "shallow" and not out to the basin.  Distance can be tough to judge so this is my approximation.   Some friends road sleds WAY north and were surprised that shortly after they set up a suburban came from the south and fished near them.  Like I was saying people are spread out.   Adrian's road now only goes out 11.5 vs. the 16 miles they were out a week ago.   Good Luck!
    • loadmaster
      Hey Jim do you guide for pout on Cass Lake and North Bay????
    • mrpike1973
      Was on the boat Sunday got a little further past the 49 bridge. Is the 22 landing opening up at all? Anyone know how much ice is even out there? I would think we made a little.
    • bturck
      Great posts again this year.  Always interesting, looking forward to crappie reports