• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

new shotgun

sheephead24

I am looking for a new 12 gauge for under $400, does anyone have any suggestions? I had an 870 already so I would like to try something else. I heard the Stoeger guns are very good, anyone know if this is true? Also has anyone shot the BSA semi auto? It only sells for $250 and the guy at Gander Mountain didnt recommend it, has anyone used this gun? Thanks

The 870 is a great gun. I own several. However, I shoot much better with my Benelli Nova, which would fit your price range. I would avoid cheap autos.

i have a stoeger semi auto. and i love it. i have had it for 4 years now and it has yet to fail for me. knock on wood. but other than that it's light, fast handling, low recoil. can't ask for a better gun at that price.

I'd stick with a great pump like the 870, i own one, its now my backup gun since i use a SBE as my main gun, but it hasn't failed me and works great. Its up there on my list of favorite guns ever shot. Benelli Novas are good too, i didn't like how they felt but the people that use them love them. I have friends that have those "cheaper" semi autos and they like them too with little to no fails, sometime they have an ejection problem but very minor. Thats why i still like pumps, bc that shell is coming out.

A. Shae

I have a brand new Benelli Nova 3.5 inch that I won at pheasants forever 3 years ago. It has never been used because I would never shoot anything but an auto loader unless forced to. Get the auto it's the only way to fly. Maybe my 2 week old son will use it someday or my 870, or my mossberg 20 gauge, or my 1100 (which sold me on auto loaders), but he isn't going to get the Browning Gold until I'm in the grave.

For right around $400 you should be able to get a Browning BPS. Great pump shot gun that also has bottom feed/ejection and the safety is up on top of the receiver. I used mine for duck, goose, and pheasant hunting.

Can't say I'm a fan of the Nova's and 870's are great guns. I recently bought a Benelli M1 Super 90 and am literally in love with it, but if you're looking for a different pump, a BPS is a great choice.

I would have to second the BPS. I have owned one for 15 years and it hasn't failed me yet. Always dependable. I am left handed, so it works great for me with the safety on top and bottem eject.

CA

Ditto on the BPS...I'm left-handed too...love the safety/eject feature for this reason. All around, it's a great gun. Bought mine in the shadow grass pattern-a plus having it camo'd in the blind, and it also offer's added protection against scratching and the elements. No problems with it whatsoever.

Can't go wrong with a 870 Express Super Magnum

It has been a great gun for many years.

DL

Ditto on the BPS. I love mine. One comment about them though. They seem to be rather difficult to put back together once you take them completely apart. At least that has been my experience. They work flawlessly in the field however. Extremely reliable gun.

Ya I took my BPS apart once...ONCE! What a pain. I really didn't like the gun, but it was a pump 10 and that's what I wanted at the time. I sold it last summer. I've shot a Nova too and while its nice to disassemble unlike the BPS, I hate the cheap feel to it. It rattles like junk. That's why I still feel the 870 is the best pump gun made. I own three and shoot them regularly when I'm not using my Beretta autoloader...

Is there a reason you dont want the 870, did you have a problem with it? I vote for the 870 also, good gun, comes apart and goes back together! Dependable and lots of places carry parts, do to it being so popular! Although chances are you will never need any.

What does the Browning BPS cost? I am also left handed and it sounds like a good gun.

I guess that everyone has thier own preferences. I had a BPS and I did not like the gun. I can't disagree with some of the Nova comments, but mine fits me and I shoot really well with it. Much, much better than I ever did with the BPS that now never leaves my gun cabinet.

Sheephead24

You mentioned the Stoeger guns, Gander Mountain has the Stoeger Condor over/under for 299.99. I have one ordered but haven't gotten it yet. They feel real nice when shouldering and others I have talked to that have them, like them. I also talked to a couple gun dealers that say they are really well made. You may want to take a look at them!

If you are going to get an 870 I'd get the Wingmaster as it is a near perfect pump gun. The BPS is also very nice. If you want something a little unique that is equal to the Wingmaster and the BPS find yourself an Ithaca Model 37.

I agree that the 870 is a great gun. I have a lot of buddies who own them and really do like them. (They are all right handed shooters) Being a left handed person, you find yourself never being able to handle a variety of left handed guns when you are ready to purchase one. Yes, certain manufacturers carry left handed models, but it seems to me that they never have them in the store and you are basing your purchase on what you see in catalogs. I personally like to shoulder a gun before I purchase it. This is something that right handed shooters don't understand. You guys have it made when it comes to purchasing guns, and even bows for that matter.

If you don't believe me, the next time you are in any store, ask the sales person to show you their selection of left handed guns/bows. You will be surprised on how limited the selection is. I think that the BPS is a very good gun and it is a perfect fit for someone who is left handed. Check them out Sheephead I think you will like how they feel. I like how solid it feels in your hand, compared to others out there that feel a little wobbly when you work the pump. There are a lot of options out there, but I think you will come back to the Browning. Good luck shopping. You should be able to get into one under $400.

CA

The BPS I had was a HUGE pain in the hind end. I think I would have been better off with a sling and a pouch full of rocks.

Quote:

The BPS I had was a HUGE pain in the hind end. I think I would have been better off with a sling and a pouch full of rocks.

Just curious as to what part of it created the pain?

I am not going to get into a ford vs chevy debate on this issue. Sheephead is just looking for some suggestions before he pulls the trigger on purchasing one. I am sure he would want to know what it was you didn't like about it instead of saying it was just a HUGE pain. Can you expand?

Just like everything made, there are always defects with even the best of items. I think the Browning name has a great reputation in the field and have been very pleased with it's performance for me.

He asked for suggestions and opinions and that is what he is getting. I probably one of the few who owns all three pumps being discussed. I realize that guys get attached to what they use (aka - Ford vs Chevy thing), but for me, the BPS is an inferior gun. Good for lefty's - yes. Pain to clean - yes. If they jam, they are a really a headache, and I thought the blue finish on it was not built to hold up to heavy usage. Another thing is that it is not easy to throw a shell into this gun and go, like you can with an 870 or Nova. I like having that option.

I have a buddy with the Stoeger auto and I have shot it. I do think it is a decent gun for the price. It is a close cousin of the SBE, but you can only get it with a 3 inch chamber.

I will weigh in. Shotguns come in all shapes and prices just like pick-up trucks.

I own a 3.5" BPS Stalker and it is a fantastic gun. I just purchased a BPS 20 micro youth gun for my son this week. If my three kids do not want the gun down the road - it will be one sweet grouse gun for dad. He also handled the 870, a Winchester, and a Mossberg bantam. The action of the BPS was the smoothest. The safety on top is a nice feature too.

I started with the 870 pump and found the shell in the magazine would OFTEN not fully move into the chamber and jam. I became an expert in popping 870 pins in the field at the age of 14-15. The BPS is easy to clean and reassemble - could do it in my sleep.

As much as Browning makes an excellent rifle and a pump shotgun, they have struggled to produce a semi-auto shotgun that can match the Beretta or Benelli. Bring back the A5. laugh.gif

If I had an 870 that I liked, I would not be buying another pump unless I was looking at handling a different size / length shell.

I bought a brand new BPS about three years ago (well over the $400 price cap listed here) and am very disappointed with it. However, I bet I got a bad one like in any brand. One gun I did not see mentioned that is a classic and as reliable as the 870 is the Winchester 1300. Beautiful and very realiable. You can pick up a used one for around $200. Good luck!

I may be mistaken, but didn't they quit making the 1300 in the latest cut in manufacturing? I have a 1300 in a 20 guage. It was my first gun. It has always been a good performer. Wow, I own all of the pumps listed her except the Mossberg. blush.gif Either I need to buy one of those so I have them all, or admit I have some sort of problem? grin.gif

Not a bad problem to have! I have owned almost all stated as well at one time or another. They did stop making the 1300 I believe. A guy should be able to find good used ones however. Very good reliable gun!

Hey i love my nova dont get me wrong but after walking the whole day out in the feild after pheasants i would much rather be carrying the old full choke 870 wingmaster that guns is 20 years old and and weighs about 2lbs less. Shot alot better with the 870 to.

i would go with a pump. I would highly recommend the 870. I dont like the feel of the novas. And i like the idea of a bottom ejection on the bps but my friend had one that wouldnt eject shells half the time.

there is a $75 rebate on brownings right now so the BPS is right around $400 after the rebate.

I have 2 870's, a 12g and 20g. The 12 has 2 barrels one for birds and a riffled slug barrel. I love them. I haven't had any go wrong with them and they are very easy to tear down and clean. I'm new to shooting and the 12 was my first gun, I took it apart in less then 5 minutes (I've never taken a gun apart before.) cleaned the shipping oil off and re-oiled it put it back together all in a about a half hour.

Last year I was in the same situation as you and bought a Benelli Super Nova at Cabelas. great gun. I really like it.