Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

musky_tail05

Anyone seen or heard of muskies caught from Grand Forks on up to the border? How about really big pike? Just curious.

Thanks for any info!

CatManLee

I've never caught a Muskie out of the river, but I know they are there...at least that's what I hear. As for Pike, I have caught a few over 35" inches and have seen bigger fish caught that were probably around 40" inches. Most Pike I have caught have been on cut bait while catfishing, but the few times I actually tried to catch them toothy critters, I did quite well fishing near river mouths and feeder creeks up near Drayton and Pembina.

I used big spinner baits and big sucker minnows on jigs bounced along the bottom. I think vibration and/or smell really matters a lot more in this river than color.

Wiskers

We have gotten a few large Muskies out of the Red Lake River so there must be some in the Red.. It is the trick of how to find them in the murky water. Totaly diffrent presentation I would imagine. Most have been caught by accident.

Scoot

Definitely a few sklunges in the Red, but their numbers are pretty low. Personally, I don't think they're close to fishable numbers. A few nice ones caught now and then, but rarely. I saw one about a dozen times early one summer hanging out at the same spot. Tried like heck to get her to eat, but she smiled at me and swam away each time. Stinkin' muskies!

Ed Carlson

They are more common, yet sparse, on the headwaters end of the Red. I have caught a few near Whap, 2 near Fargo, and none farther North to date.

Best time for me has been late fall on the Headwaters end with cranks while hunting walleye. They show in the tribs more often in the fall, the more rock around the better for some reason...not sure why?

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• merc
      Was up on Big Bow last week. Pulled three trucks out that were stuck. Not easy getting around off the roads. We went out of Geigers and he has a nice road where you can get off and fish. Fishing was not good though we didn't try going cross country to our normal spots. Good luck!!
    • eyeguy 54
      nills 8 inch is 8 I think.  would be great for pike. less torque required. 
    • eyeguy 54
      wow! talk about service. called marine general in duluth yesterday and its on my step this morning!  drill trigger is at chest level so should be dandy.  
    • lawman
      OK, I may not be the most nimble guy in the outdoor world but for the life of me i can't apply those little yellow plastic bobber stops I bought at the Sports Show this past weekend. I ruined a dozen of them just practicing. Anybody else have the same problem? I know you have to be gently and not crush the little buggers. What am I doing wrong?
    • mrpike1973
      As you know I have the 6 inch K Drill after loosing 3 of the biggest pike iv'e seen this weekend not being able to get them up the hole. I need a bigger auger for pike. I have a 7 inch mora hand auger and ordered a plate. Will this work OK or should I get the 8 inch K-drill the width is 7 1/2 inches. I'm willing to spend the $230 for the 8 inch if recommended. My wrists just can't take the 8 inch K drill or Mora drill only was able to use someone else's for a short bit. Worried the Mora will ruin the drill long term. Thanks
    • Borch
      I've always just used electrical tape.  It stretches and forms to the reel foot and rod handle.  Usually stays secure and sheds water.  I don't switch reels often so taking the tape off is not a big issue for me.
    • AlwaysFishing23
      Agreed a buddy of mine uses the little green bands from bait shops for minnow bags very stiff but hold reels on very secure. Personally I don’t like rods that have to have reels taped on just because I like trying new reels with rods and I’m always switching things around.
    • busse3775
      You can get around anywhere on Ottertail. I have been out there the past couple weekends and we currently have 20"+ of ice. It is a little rough and some deeper snow drifts but you shouldn't have a problem. A lot of houses and traffic on the lake. 
    • Wanderer
      Ditto this. ^^^^.  Plus they eventually crack and break.
    • AlwaysFishing23
      Mike, the clam bar is going to be your best bet. But I run the troo shine strip lights in my one man flip. There great super bright and have sticky tape on them to connect to a pole. The clam light bar is about same in price maybe a bit more but extremely bright and can be mounted in your poles. I also have the clam sled lights on mine to not as bright but helps light up the ice in front for fishing or the sled or both. Hope that helps 
  • Share & Have Fun