Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Huntin&Fishin

Open Water On Pelican? *DELETED* *DELETED*

12 posts in this topic

Post deleted by vexilarman

I just drove by there about an hour ago. The bay that flooded out 119 last yeatr is just about open and the main part of the lake the ice is about 25 feet from shore.

With the wind - it shouldn't be long - I noticed today the other side of 119 -the east side, where it was flooded over (Near the truck farm) there was a few hundred dead sunnies, one small pike and a small bass. Do you think that side had ice kill?

Last year after ice out I saw quite a bit of dead bullheads floating, and a couple of sunnies. So there might be a winterkill.

I live out here on 119. lots of people trying but no one is catching anything yet.

When will the slab crappies start to bite.

Probely when it is around 50 degrees, or so

I just ask that you don't be one of the ramrods who decides to fish from the middle of the road...seriously

I go from a boat.

I am curious about boating out there. Assuming that I am carefull and take it slow, I should be Ok in a 16ft boat? Does it get super shallow or is there anything else to look out for?

Take it slow and watch where you are going very carfully. You might want to make you first trip on a calm day so you can see more of the dead heads. There are dead heads sticking out of 10+ feet of water in the middle of bays where you would think you would be safe. After a few trips out there you will figure out where the visible hazzards are and may be able to pick up the speed a bit. I have my boat out there in the fall quite a bit and have yet to hit anything, even in the dark. Just be careful, whatch for dead heads and it might not be a bad idea to have an extra shear pin and tools to replace it if you did hit something.

Thanks Josh!