Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBMasterAngler

What Happened To Lake Pepin?

3 posts in this topic

Has anyone noticed a decline in the fishing in lake pepin in the last few years...particularly for white bass? I started fishing pepin about 12 years ago and the first couple years me and my dad would easily catch anywhere from 50 to 100 fish an outing (mostly silvers, but a good mix of walleye/sauger and smallies too). The last few years we've used the same tactics and nothing! It's like the silvers have up and left. What's the deal? Is there too much baitfish in the lake? I've definitely noticed a much higher population of shad swimming around. I've also noticed ALOT less zebra mussels along the shoreline, I have a theory that they killed themselves out and that they took the fishing right along with them, because I've also noticed the water is dirtier than it used to be (that could be a number of reasons though). But I'm just curious to know if anyone has noticed a change in the fishing at all...I'm anxious to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

Nothing happened. Them White Bass are all over the humps, sand bars, points. They are as plenty as they have always been as far as I noticed. But they don't have much size to them which is strange. Mostly between 6 to 9 inches. I can't seem to find the bigger year classes for them either. Just 6 to 9 inch whities and occasional larger one.

The Croix puts out much much bigger whities averaging 10 to 16 inches or even bigger.

The DNR lake finder says that the population has been declining since the 80's. But yeah, I've noticed the ones I do catch are all small. I used to catch lot's of 2+ pounders. And yes, the croix is still full of big ones, as is the vermillion.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Rick G
      Thanks for the update , Don.  Some of the smaller bodies of water in our area capped over last night. I'm hoping there will be walkable ice somewhere by the weekend
    • Rick
      Hunting or fishing license holders can order discounted tickets to the Sunday, Dec. 11, Minnesota Wild hockey game vs. the St. Louis Blues, as the Wild and the Department of Natural Resources team up for this special ticket offer.   A limited number of tickets are available and will be reserved on a first-come, first-served basis. Ticket prices vary and the offer is available only through advance online purchase on the Wild webpage, to hunting or fishing license holders for 2016 or 2017. The discount is not available at the Xcel Energy Center box office. Buy fishing and hunting licenses at DNR license agents, online with a mobile or desktop device on the buy a license page, or by phone at 888-665-4236. Mobile buyers receive a text or email that serves as proof of a valid fish or game license to state conservation officers. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      The deadline for firearms wild turkey hunters to apply for early season spring hunting permits is Friday, Jan. 27, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. The spring season, which runs from Wednesday, April 12, to Wednesday, May 31, is divided into six time periods. Only people age 18 and older who want to hunt using a firearm during the first two time periods (A or B) need to apply for a spring turkey permit. Permits for the remaining time periods (C-F) can be purchased over-the-counter. Archery and youth turkey hunters can hunt the entire season without applying for the lottery. Permits for the last three time periods and youth licenses are sold starting March 1. Surplus adult licenses from the first two time periods, if available, are sold starting around mid-March. People applying for permit area 511, the Carlos Avery State Wildlife Management Area, are advised that the sanctuary portion of the WMA will be closed to turkey hunting except for the special hunt for hunters with disabilities. For turkey hunting, a person may only use shotguns 20 gauge or larger, including muzzleloading shotguns. Only fine shot size No. 4 and smaller diameter may be used, and red dot scopes and range finders are legal. Visit the turkey hunting page  for more information about turkey hunting. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Neighbor_guy
      We did some roadside scouting in the Chippewa national forest on Sunday. Put on a pile of miles driving the forest roads with the fresh dusting of snow and never cut a track. Kinda disappointing, but my daughter wasn't really up for it.    Season is still young. 
    • Neighbor_guy
      well we found a small amount of ice. But it was only about 1"thick. And only reached out a couple hundred yards at best. The swans were loving all the open water that's for sure.    Those that did come up to the GTG had a good time despite the lack of ice. Mostly hunting for grouse and rabbits. Plenty of both seen, but the shooting was less than stellar.