Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tom fellegy

condition of the public accesses

8 posts in this topic

as the ice starts to melt along the shoreline, it is evident that the lake has dropped a few more inches over the winter. i have about 4 more feet of beach this spring over last fall when the lake froze up. the feeder creek that is my north property line has all but slowed to a trickle already. the spring run off is over already and the lake level is still lower than last fall. people with homes/cabins on the harbors around the lake are going to be in trouble if we don't get alot, and i mean alot of rain. if you had trouble floating your boat last fall, this spring will be worse. alot of the resorts will have problems also if they did not dredge. a few years back people stopped coming here because the slot limit was too tight, this year they won't be able to get their boat in the water. now is that responsible lake management? NOT!!! there is a post elsewhere, by steve fellegy, that explaines how the dnr is poised to spend over a million dollars to buy ray's boat dock and turn it into a public access. as i am glad to see the dnr looking to add some protected harbors to the lake, i think that the condition of the existing public accesses are in need of some major attention first. i would think that this water level problem is going to effect most if not all of the resorts around the lake. we need to start a email campain and see if we can get the public access problems resolved this spring..........tom fellgy

[Note from admin: Edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

How much (Besides alot) is it going to take to see any improvement from late Summer / Fall. I can only imagine the headaches come Opening Weekend with limited accesses.

Rodmaker

Right on!!! The access in cove bay needs to be dredged out and the ramp needs fixing.The dnr said 2 years ago that they were going to totally redo the access by this years opener,but as of yet have not even started(what a surprise)you are totally right about fixing up existing accesses and parking lots,its time to put our money back where it is needed first instead of spending it elsewhere first.Times are tough but we need to fix what we have now first and as times and money change then we can build new accesses

As I sit here it has been raining all weekend. I hope it is raining up north. Last early June I launched at the Wealthwood landing. This was before the water really dropped. I was surprised at how shallow this launch was. The current launches do need work sooner than later. Let it rain baby!

it has been raining for the last three days, and there is no water standing in the ditches here around mille lacs. that tells me that it is all soaking into the ground. that is a real good thing, the ground water has to be replenished before the lakes start to fill back up. the state/dnr has decided to buy ray's boat dock and construct a public landing there on one half of a harbor. i feel really sorry for the guy that owns the other half. i think that there will be a few people using his privet docks as well as the public docks when it is crowded. this is our money that is being spent foolishly. you can call or email forrest boe, he is head of trails and waterways. laurie martinson, she is second in command at the dnr, her last title was head of trails and waterways. or lowell jaegers, he is the department head in brainard. i don't think that the closing date is for a few weeks yet, so if they get enough flack, we still might be able to get the dnr to rethink their direction................tom fellegy

Saw Cedar Creek landing last week - I don't know how anybody will be able to land a boat there - You will have to back into the sand bottom to get your trailer in deep enough water - Guys will be getting stuck there. Water is way, way down.

I am glad that I run a little boat and have a good truck. I can get anywhere as long as my tires can grip. Sure wish we would get some down poors.

Quote:

Saw Cedar Creek landing last week - I don't know how anybody will be able to land a boat there - You will have to back into the sand bottom to get your trailer in deep enough water - Guys will be getting stuck there. Water is way, way down.

It should be easy to see the rocks in the creek now.