Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ron Burgundy

Bartlett fish kill

13 posts in this topic

Has anyone heard about a fish kill on Bartlett (airport lake) in Winona? A friend of a friend said he saw thousands of fish of all species floating or on the bank recently. He got some pics with his cell phone camera and then called the DNR.

this happens every year, i was out there on monday, it isnt the actually big lake where the fish die its the little ponds as you drive into the are to your right and left where this happens. Ive been here for 5 years now and ive seen it every year. Its caused fromt he shallow water in the small ponds and lack of oxygen in the water when it freezes over, the whole place kind of stinks though when you drive in, the actual lake still has plenty of fish beleive me

I guess I may have misunderstood. I thought he said the main lake. Thanks for the input.

yup, i've seen that in years past too. always some guys with a rod and reel tring to catch em. i've gotten some crappie out of the smaller one on the left(as you drive IN)

Those 2 lakes before bartlett are great waters in the summer and early fall.. caught alot of nice sized northern and bass out of there...

Really? I've seen very few fishing there, and only on ice. Are You pulling my leg as your name would suggest? I'll have to try there this season.

Ron,

I have fished that first little lake on the right hand side from a flatbottom boat and it was great! Man the northeren and the bass are thick as thieves in there. You can also pull a good limit of sunnies out of there also. Pretty easy to launch a boat there just make sure that you have 4 x4 to get you out of the sand if you get stuck. There are some really deep holes out there also.

yea, that first pond with the 'beach' used to be my early season bass spot. should have fished it more when i got my canoe, but i had access to the brinks pond. lot's of fish in there. grin.gifcool.gif

I think this post should be deleted cool.gif I thought I was the only one who knew about it. For the last 7-8 years, this is the only place my dad will ever fish. But you are missing the mark...this place is best for its crappies! No joke!

And no, it is not easy getting ou 16' boat in there, but it can be done.

We have fished there 3 or 4 times in the winter..and not a bite.

This is an old gravel pit that is like 106' feet in the middle...or something like that. Lots of structure for how small it is.

If you want more info, send me a PM.

Guys and gals on here need to realize just how many people read these fishing sites while understanding the power of "word of mouth".

If you want to talk fishing GREAT, but you start giving out bodies of water, exact locations, GPS coordinates etc you'll soon take witness to a change in your personal fishery.

Hope to see some of you in a couple weeks at the 7th Annual Trout Day!

Jim W

i think its great people share bodies of water to fish on, thats what forums like these are for, the person who reads the information still needs to find the bait and technique used to catch the fish... im willing to share any location any time...there plenty of fish out there for everyone.

i'm with you WW

there are so many places to fish. i've been to several "secret spots" only to find that i have better water than they do. different locations produce differently on different days. especially on the miss, does anybody honestly believe that they are the only ones that have ever fished a particular spot of one of the most travled waters in america?

i have read lots of jimW's old posts, and i tend to fish more like him. lots of walking to find seldom hit holes. but even then, you will still see the occasionaly footprint, or tree lure that indicates 'your secret spot aint so secret'. most of my fishing is equall parts fishing and hiking/rock climbing. if soemone else is willing to follow, i'll see you on the water buddy cool.gif

Quote:

yea, that first pond with the 'beach' used to be my early season bass spot. should have fished it more when i got my canoe, but i had access to the brinks pond. lot's of fish in there.
grin.gifcool.gif

Brinks, aint that the private lake behind the golf course? along river road... i've fished back there once.. lots of huge northern.. but yea that was the only time i went out there if thats the one you speak of....

any of you know is that lake by that sand pit(between goodview and minnesota city) the one after badger.. is that private? or open? because i've been down there once without a rod and saw tons of baby northern runnin along shore..