• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

NOT a Wolf at my house !!!!

Valv

I applaude you for taking such caution before you took care of it. But please be careful now! Good luck and keep us posted.

Applaud you on not pulling the trigger.

Be careful though, lots of unknown answers. Todays Star Tribune artice "dangerous dogs". Check it out.

This dog may have a disease, maybe violent (even though it doesn't seem to be),.........on the other hand it may be the friendly pet of a child. But we don't know!!

Never the less, it is a feral dog. Somebody isn't doing there job here. Keep us posted.

It seems to me with the number of encounters and regularity of visits, this dog should be captured already and be processed in canine jail already, then we wouldn't be debating the possibility of danger, right?.?

Have you contacted anyone Valv? Sheriff's office, etc?

Great job Valv with the updates and pics. Glad you didn't shoot and ask questions later. It is a nice looking animal. When I first saw it I thought shepherd/lab cross but the more I look at it, not really sure about the lab part. My guess is that it either ran away or more than likely someone dropped it off in the country. I grew up about a mile off a major highway and 20 miles from any big towns and we always had strays in our yard that would be abandoned.

Yep,

With the closer pictures, clears it up pretty good.

A hungry dog.

Good Luck with it - Keep us posted

Nice going Valv. It is a nice looking animal. So far the story is turning out nice, lets hope it gets better. Maybe you'll end up keeping it. However ,like others have said..Be careful. It would be cool to find out that it turned into being a nice companion. Good luck and keep the updates coming.

"hooks"

Thanks for not shootin it Val. She looks like Titus, one of our dogs. He's our white shepard and he is the most loyal, dang dog. Great companion.

croppedtitusax6.jpg

I hope everything works out for you and her.

Well, I couldn't be any happier for a story it's ending great.

The dog name now is Lupa, she looks like a german sheperd mix dog, she's "attached" to me now as I never seen a dog before, very obedient, calm, good disposition. We have an appointment with vet tomorrow for all the shots, etc., she will get spade in the near future.

I went to town twice today, she jumped up in the truck with me and got along just fine.

I will post some pics soon.

Dan, yours look like her twin.....

If she's that good already, she's clearly not a wild dog. Probably a lost or abandoned domesticated pet then. Have fun with her, she is a pretty dog. Have the vet give her a thorough check up along with those shots. If she's been out for a while on her own and isn't used to being so, who knows what she's been through.

Good luck!

Are you sure your neighbors dog didnt just come to your house? Just a thought I would hate to see you spend a ton of money on this dog and your neighbor comes over looking for his dog, and there it is!

Nope, she's not the neighbors, I know all their dogs, I also asked 3 vet shops, nobody has a report of a missing dog like this.

Besides, I tried to play fetch, and I soon as I picked up a stick the dog fled nowhere to be found, I had to call her for a while and finally she got back, I don't think this dog wants to go back where she came from.

Valv glad you rescued the dog. Keep a close eye on the kids around the dog though. Some dogs that have been abused can go from being totally scared of a stick, to aggressive in a second.

Valv, I know I was one of the ones that said to "take care" of it, but it sounds like it is turning out well. Please be careful and good luck!

sounds like this is a case where the dog had been abused and fled from that atmosphere i suggest to make sure kids are not trying to get the dog to fetch like someone said an abused dog could turn on kids in a heartbeat sounds like shes quite friendly but be careful with kids around her id hate to hear of a kid bit. i do applaud you for taking the appoach of befriending the dog.

I am glad as well it is turning out to not be fereal, I know you will use caution when introducing kids...looks like an awesome farm dog

Sounds Great Valv. Very nice looking dog. It appears that the dog knew just where to go to find a nice place to live. Hope that it ends up being good with the kids and that all works out fine.

"hooks"

Good luck Valv,

Moral of the story:

We all need a little lovin'...

Some more than others, according to my wife.?.?.?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Val, good for you.

Let the dog know where its place is on the pecking(bottom) order and it'll happily take its roll there.

Get the shots and collar, you don't want someone else thinking this thing is a wolf and starting cranking rounds out! Looks like a very nice dog...and big. Weight estimate?

Ok, ok, last update, I feel like I'm trolling.

Her name now is Lupa (wolf in italian), she just got a vet checkup with first shots and Heartworm immun. last week. She weights 56lbs (very skinny) and she's getting way too much attached to us.

She has 2 bright orange collars with reflectors, name tags etc.

Vet also scanned her for chips from previous ownership, and was negative, we checked some databases and nobody reported this dog as missing, which is good since after I tried to play fetch she fled the area as soon as I picked up a stick....this tells me dog was beaten, and she will not go back to anybody.

Patiently I am waiting until she settles a little before training, she's getting very territorial and a little aggressive with people coming in the yard.

Boy, I dont know if I dare come over again Valv as your wolf will get me. You probably have a very good watch dog now.

Yeah, good luck Valv and congrats on the new pet, sounds like it needed a good buddy.

• 4 weeks later...

Valv,

Just curious, How have things been with your new buddy? laugh.gif

"hooks"

Valv, I have a little experience with Wolf Hybrids and it looks a lot like the one my brother once had. He had a White Shepard crossed with an Artic Wolf. Great dog, she wasn't a high percentage like the others he had. One thing I was told was on higher precentage Hyrbids you will have a subtle black mark on the tail about 3/4 of the way up which it looks like on the one you have. If she is a hybrid I doubt anyone will advertise that they are missing her due to the fact they don't want to be liable if she goes "wild" on someones pet or child. My Hrbrid was more afraid of people and disappeared in the swamp for about 3 hours while I had the neighborhood kids looking for him. He eventually came out after the excitement calmed down. When you do train her make sure you let her know you are the dominant one. When you are disciplining her hold her head down by the snout. I actually would hold mine down with my mouth when he was a pup and it is very interesting to see how they submit to you. People thought I was nuts but I never had a problem with him. A word to the wise though, if you do or don't find out if she is part wolf don't advertise it. A lot of people get scared when they hear "wolf" and you may end up having to depart with her for political reasons. If you do get ahold of me. I am sure my brother would love another one.