• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Taking the fun out of Scouting!

outfishedagain

This morning I didn’t even get a chance to make it to the end of the driveway to go scouting. Yet, I did get to glass a few more struters. But this group was still exciting to watch.

IMG_0031.jpg

Great Pic! Thanks for posting it.

I saw few strutters this morning, but quite a few toms. The rain kept them from displaying like they would have otherwise I think.

Joel

Nice sight to see! I'm heading down your way to hunt during season E this year.Hunted season D last year and sat in the rain for the better part of 4 days. My group was 4 for 4 though. Hunt the river bottoms around the Sacred Heart area.

Well, there are plenty of turkeys around as i'm sure you know. But the thing that is got my iching my head, is that all the struters i've been seeing have been with several ladies. So i'm not sure if their giving them the time of day yet. Yet, with the warm weather who knows.

You bet. This time of the year, that's what you see. 5-15 hens with a handful of toms. I'm still seeing some remnant larger groups of up to 30+ birds. I'd say you're right about the hens not giving them the time of day yet. When you watch them for awhile you see the toms strutting around the hens who seem intent on nothing but picking in the fields.

Jakes and toms are moving around quite a bit at this point (saw 9 jakes on Sunday in a group!) and not everyone has found a home yet. This will continue, and really start to pick up as the birds spread out more and more. Mid season you see alot of Toms that look lost. Crossing roads, open fields, all-alone. Those are what you're after as they're actively seeking out some new territory and new hens. They're easier to coax to a call because of their loneliness.

Joel