Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
walleyecheeks

Spring Panfish

6 posts in this topic

Open water is here. If you want to catch a good number of gills and a few crappies, from shore Phalen creek is the place to be. Theres not to much size but its fun for the kids, and if you don't have a boat. Was there today, I happen to put a pole in the truck before I took the hound on his daily walk. So I stopped by the creek made a few casts and to my surprise they were thick in there. Just had a few waxies left from ice fishing and they went quick. Don't know if this cold weather comming this weekend is going to turn them off but I'll be there.

I'm taking a canoe there next weekend. Should be fun to finally wet a line and get a little exercise from paddling.

I live by Phalen, where is the creek? Are you talking where the bridge is on the north end? Just curious. Would be fun to catch a bunch even if they aren't keepers.

The creek is the connection of phalen and keller lakes. It's supposed to be pretty good for early season panfish, I'll find out for sure next week.

NO NO! That creek has ZERO fish! wink.gif The crappies are sporatic. Catch them as they come in from the lake. Almost any crappie or panfish jig will work!

I beg to differ, I was in the creek today, just in from were they put the dock and it forks two ways. Caught a couple dozen. Caught two that were over 10inches, the rest were under 8. Released all of them and got some people asking me for them. Told them I was on a catch and release mission. I think that pissed them off, because they could not get them.