Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jstrommen13

Spring Crappie

11 posts in this topic

does anyone know of any traditional spots for crappies for when the ice goes out. it dont matter if it is from shore or if you need a boat. all i know of is beebe and constance, which i am sure constance will be not as good this year. thank you

People were already lined up on the ditch connected to the east side of Pelican Lake last night. I talked to a couple of the guys and they were not catching any yet, but with in the next couple weeks you should be able to get some crappies there.

Was out on Pelican tonight, nothing doing - they will probably move in within a week or two. A guy I talked to said he was at a lake near pelican with a creek that ran through it. He said he pounded them - big one's too. Not sure of a lake near pelican with a creek that runs through it? he didn't want to share any info - don't blame him.

I would look for fish to be in deep water yet. I have caught larger crappies suspended in several lake after ice out. Waverly would be another on my list for eary crappies.

But if want some real fun deer lake has carp sitting in front of the spillway. Some will go over 30lbs. on lite tackle (7ft. med/lite rod, 6lb line,) that is a real blast.

30 lb Crap??? I'll stick with the crappies!! grin.gif

The CARP can keep fun until the crappies move in to shore or the docks set for boating.

does the big lake still have ice on it yet?

how long tell the crappies will be in the ditch?

where is the spillway on deer, might have to get the bowfishing rig out to shoot some of them dmn things. getting pumped for suckers to start running

Note tht spearing, bowfishing, for carp and other rough fish usually opens on May 1, check regs for sure. I'd hate to see anyone get their bow confiscated because of heading out in a closed season. Good luck when it opens. Brent

Several lakes in the area are now open. Ice on Buffalo blew to the south end of the lake late saturday. Stupid rain, I was all set to for a boat ride today, I guess it'll have to wait. Go out looking for the suspended crappies, before they come into the shallows. Anyone else have their boat really?

I put the finishing touches on getting the boat ready yesterday. Charged both batteries, filled the tank, filled the lower unit and cranked it over a couple of times.

It's ready, I'm not! It's gonna have to get alot warmer then this before I take the boat out! I'll fish from shore for a week or so yet.