Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBMasterAngler

Rebecca In The Spring

13 posts in this topic

Anyone do any spring fishing on rebecca? DNR lake finder shows there's all kinds of fish in there. I'd be after crappies and white bass in particular...when will they be active? Last time I was in the area there was alot of construction going on around there, is that all done now? Access open for business?

If you're referring the one in hastings, drove by over the weekend and access seems to be open. Went out there last year and there was no constructions. With the crappie and white bass bite, I would suggest waiting until the water temps heat up a little. A buddy of mine likes to go out there during the summer time for smallie action though.

Yes, the one in hastings. What was all that construction about anyway? If I did go there it'd be a couple weeks from now. I'm planning on going to the vermillion, but if for some reason the water was too high there maybe I'd go to rebecca as a backup.

It's mostly small pannies & catfish. You can get occasional nice White Crappie. Very few whities if none at all. Seldom will you catch them. There are some nice Largemouth to be caught in the summer.

I would not target white bass in this lske; as stated above, mostly very small panfish. Has many other kinds of fish in it too... It is very hard to fish once weeds are grown. Fun for kids some times of the year. Can't plan to go there and catch dinner. I would personally love to see it made into a catch and release for everything other than sunfish. Or total C&R would be cool for me. I don't think it's selfish, just want a nice place in town for anyone to catch a nice fish. ???

c&r on rebecca!man there would be more fish disapearing than on red when walleyes were outlawed.fdr

I hear that, but I know it would never work. I think it would be cool if possible though. Hastings is lucky to have a couple jewels like Rebecca, would love to see isabel back to normal.

hey man, i'm from that side of town and my mom is from that side of town and there used to be a foundation something like save isabel.but i guess that was 20 years ago and i dont see any change.that is the 1ST place i ever fished,started when i could hold my cane pole! my grandma lived down stream,my uncle lived on the lake i lived a block away.man you could catch some nice sunnies and i heard alot of other stuff to.too bad isabel could be better than rebecca.fdr

Definetly a lake that has gone to shame. Family has house on isabel in the family since 30's or 40's. Still some nice ones by bums in the winter or a dock in the summer. There is still talk of dredging and getting back to a real fishable lake. We'll see if that happens. There used to be 5 seperate breweries on that lake and another down near R/R bridge. I put down a camera a couple winters ago and spun in a 360 and all that I saw was Crappie spots, caught a 14.5 that winter there. Now I know what you meant by seeing all those fish leave lake rebecca if it were C&R sense you live in the area.

From the last DNR report it sounds like Isabel isn't much more than a pond. They only found 2 feet of water and mostly gizzard shad.

That DNR is pretty accurate. Alot of sediment in the lake from flooding. The lake is spring fed and used to average 8- 10 feet deep. I am a number one supporter for dredging this lake and making somewhat back to normal. THere are alot of shad and bait fish, but thats what makes jumbo fish I think. A high school kid I know that lives on the lake caught a 15.5" crappie last winter, very beautiful fish.

with all the other things money could be spent on this would have to be done in the private sector the state will never pony up to dredge a lake that is really a pond with a big fish here and there.

You probably are, But I hope your not right. There is still a big group of people raising money for Lake Isabell. Thier goal is to get it as back to normal as possible, get the springs to filter some clean water in ther, and they are going to build a big public fishing peir. I think Pete Likes is heading it up. It has been in the works for at least 2 or 3 years. There is money already saved to help out. I heard they plan doing something by 2010. But, our luck that will NEVER happen.