Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dahitman44

Best anchor?

19 posts in this topic

This is NOT a dumb question. I have used a lot of different anchors over the years but never the river type that you can pull on to retrieve? Do they always work?

Any thoughts?

anchors all depend on the bottom type.

the style that have the teeth are the way to go just make sure the connection is free floating so if you hook something you can go up river and try to pull it out. We have one bell shapped one and one tri hooked one. The tri hook one does good but not enough weight for our boat. Don't hurt to put 6-10 feet of chain also from anchor to rope

hitman ,.if you do it right they will retrieve., i was up at lake tobin and we lost anchors ., but when we learned how to do it ,.we never lost another ., and that was all logs there.,get a hold of me at work,. and i will explain.,

bob -- sounds good.

What other anchors do people use?

Good question. Sure would be nice to have a light anchor that holds in the wind.

Use 3 prong myself if really winding I put out 2 15lber's

I have been seriously thinking about dropping a little extra coing and getting a Richter Anchor. I know a lot of the pros use em, They look a little menacing but with the right amount of rope and short peice of chain it will hold in any condition and to get it off the bottom you just have to drive over it and pull from the back side and it comes unstuck. Remeber Anchor rule of thumb is rope length = h20 depth x 2.

We have the Richter anchor and absolulty love it. It helps a lot and works great. I highly recommend one.

Thanks a lot.

Hit.

Going to get the Richter.

Bought a Richter today for myself.

Did you find a good deal on it? Where should I go?

I got mine at Scheels a couple of years ago and ordered the rope, chain and shackles from Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops. It's a good anchor and I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Now I'm thinking about getting another smaller anchor for the back (maybe the mushroom style) to keep the boat from swinging so much when it's windy.

They are all aobut the same. Bought mine at Flee farm

Thanks, guys.

Still not totally sure why i need the chain? Where do you get that? is it a rubberized chain?

i just bought a 2foot chunk of chain at fleet farm. Non rubberized. I beleive the theory is that by using an amount of change between the rope and anchor, it will prevent wear on the rope and protect it from rocks etc.

I just used some plain old chain that I got at the hardware store..nothing special. I was told that the chain helps set the anchor in the right position so it "sticks".......I would also assume that Paul's theory is also correct.

Cliffy.

Paul, regarding your comment about anchor line, I would say 3x the water depth is the needed amount if your in a good chop, the kinda chop when boat control with the trolling motor becomes impossible so your either speed trolling with the outboard w drift sock, drifting, or anchored either pitchin or slip bobbering. I think amount of line out is the number 1 problem with people not getting anchors to hold, also if you hook your line up to the winch loop on the front of the keel it will hold much better than a cleat on your gunnel. Many times on Mille Lacs I have needed almost the whole 100' line never anchored in more than 33' and I have an anchor very similar to the richter. Just a few tips from my experience.

Livintofish,

I probably agree that you will need more rope in really rough conditions but with a good anchor properly sized for your boat I dont think that you would use all your rope all the time but I agree 100ft minimum or more. I have been thinking of actually buying 150ft that the C-Store has in its catalog.

Paul --

What kind of rope is it? Special stuff? nylon?

3/8" braided nylon is recomended by manufacture