Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBMasterAngler

Sucker Run On The Cannon?

7 posts in this topic

I drove through morristown today and stopped at the dam, I seen some fish trying to jump up the falls. At first I thought they were carp, but they were too dark and skinny and long. So I'm assuming the suckers are starting to run up the river? How much longer until the white bass are running? Man, I wanted to have a fishing pole with me so bad! It looked very promising to wet a line, especially after I spooked some fish along the shoreline...either sunnies or small stripers.

I wouldn't doubt if those were northerns that you were seeing! I can remeber that last year when the ice was coming off the lakes the gators were attempting to up the falls! I wasn't sure what they were at first but I went up to check it out and they were indeed pike! I have been catching some real nice ones since the ice came off (two days ago) on smelt in areas with current coming into the lakes!

Hopefully you were doing this in S.D. where I assume the season is still open? Anyway, I guess they could've been small ones. I never got a good look at them, but they were dark with orangish fins. And this is the time of year they are spawning.

Probably notherns,suckers are silvery,they run after the notherns,I'm told to eat the notherns eggs,I guess thats why their natural enemies!

been down there fishing they're northerns mostly with some carp mixed in,nothing for pannies yet.maybe a week or two wink.gif

Yes I have been in South Dakota fishing! Do you honestly think I would be skipping class to go to minnesota and illegally fish pike when I can go to class and drive 15 miles to legally catch big northerns on a regular basis after class in SD like my profile says!?!? smirk.gif LOL!!

Fish'n guy...you ever looking for a fishing partner at sdsu? I'd be more than willing if I have time.