Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeR67

Gophers VS. UND - Disallowed goal?????

27 posts in this topic

Ok, I'm definitely over it now, but there should be some clarification...

The puck is headed straight to the back of the net. Better blow the whistle first before it gets there! WHY??

Was it because the Gopher skater passed through the crease?

Doesn't he have to interfere with the goalie?

What if he was pushed/directed into the crease? (which it looked like he was)

Why wouldn't you let play continue and if they score, review it afterwards.

Complete BS if you ask me.

(East coast refs)

I hear ya Joe - That call still puzzles me.... And I am with you on the ref situation - My opinion is that they should use refs from the region they are playing in not from across the country from a whole different style of sissy hockey.

The goal was disallowed because the MN skater went thru the crease and contacted the goalie. It wasn't much, but the whistle definately went off immediately (before the goal). The goalie hyped it up some (OK, maybe more than some...). The replays didn't show it from a good angle.

The gopher player bumped the goalie, and he embelished it like every other goalie in the league does. You could hear the whistle clearly before the shot was even taken, so it was disallowed. Lamoureux wasn't even in the net to attempt a save, so it wasn't like a normal play even.

In my opinion there is too much speculation regarding which goals count and which ones don't. We want refs to make correct calls all the time, with one of the fastest games in the world. I hate when a good hardworking goal get's called back because a player had his toe in the crease, or tipped it slightly above crossbar lenth, etc. We want them to count when it's for our team, and Not when it's against.

The only thing that really bothers me is when refs blow an obvious call that directly results in the opposing team getting a scoring chance. Like don't call a penalty which results in a 2X1 or miss terrible a offsides which results in an uncontested shot. That is the stuff that gets me.

I thought the call on Radke was a bit stiff. He clearly pulled up and should have gotten a boarding or some other cheese-ball 2 minute penalty. A 5 is a bit of a stretch, but I agree those east coast refs are pretty ticky-tacky with the whistle.

The angles on the replay weren't real good, but the problem I have with the call is the fact that the player barely skated thru the crease(still a question whether he was there on his own accord or otherwise)and then touched the goalies pad/skate what have you. If they blew the whistle because the player interfered with the goalie, fine, then call the penalty...which was not called!! If they blew it down as a man in the crease, which all indications point to what the call was, it was a very poor call! Trust me, 99% of all plays inside the attacking zone(outside of neutral zone play) have some offensive player going thru or getting a skate in the crease...at least they should be...that's where you score! I'm by no means saying the Gophs should have won, especially when they watched the play the entire overtime, but East Coast refs...keep em'!!

Typical Hockey East call. If that would have been anywhere else, it would have been a goal any night of the week.

The bottom line to me is that there is no way the Gophers deserved to go anywhere. If they can't take a gift, 5-minute major penalty, and get at least one goal, they don't deserve to win the game. I love the Gophers and always will but I'm realistic enough to realize that they were not even close to the best team in the tournament! UND is playing great hockey right now when it counts.

It hurts but "Go Sioux"!

i will never cheer for the sioux lol.My friend's cousin is Joe Finley from UND so my friend is a die hard fan for ND.Man he gave me a hard time at school the next day after that game

Quote:

It hurts but "Go Sioux"!

Guilty with you.....I ask for forgiveness.... grin.gif

I still think they'll find a way to lose it.

WOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UND LOST!!!!!!!!!!!

That sucks. The WCHA streak ends.

Some pretty weak penalty calls in that game...but BC was a very, very good team tonight.

UND deserved to lose that game w/ the total lack of effort to go get the puck on the 1st empty net goal. Absolutely no excuse for that, especially when you're skaters outnumber theirs 6-4. IMO that goal is more embarrassing than the one Frazee let in against Bina back in January, at least that was a fluke and not a lack of effort; in a game that could put you in the national title game no less. As for the officiating, that's how they call things out east, so it was right where I would have expected it, a lot of soft calls, but I think all were penalty's, just not necessarily ones that would be called in the WCHA.

For fear of sounding like a rabid rodent fan, I will start out by saying that BC was one heck of a team that picked apart UND's weakness at the blueline. Beyond that, sure glad there were Sioux fans at the game. They were the only ones in the building that wanted the Sioux to win. It really was an effort to be in that game at all until the collapse at the end came. Eastern Sports Promotional Network should be ashamed of their coverage. I think even Wooger would have given a more unbiased call of the game.

Good luck to the gophers in their quest for next years Mcnaughton and Broadmoor awards. wink.gif

UND took a kick of undisciplined hockey right in the teeth last night. They definitely had a chance to win it but it wasn't meant to be. Now, I have to totally switch gears and cheer for Michigan State. Man, that just doesn't sound right. confused.gif

Yeah, as a Sioux fan myself, I thought the footage was lacking and commentary was awfully one-sided. Eastern Sports Promotional...LOL!

I guess the Sioux had it coming when they came unglued...sigh. frown.gif

Guess, I'll pull for Michigan State...can't stand the eastern teams at all.

I was looking up Hakstol in the dictionary and this is what I got:

Hakstol (Hack-stall)(v,adj,n,)-1.being unable to win the big one 2.also a gagging or choking reflex at the Frozen Four 3.a look of bewilderment 4.to be very afraid of Eagles

"(Contact Us Please), we just Hakstoled that game up."

This goes out to all the Sioux fans who would say to me, "Well, it's nice Woog won all those league titles, but he didn't win the NCAA so he's a choke." Well 0 for 3 is looking more and more like Woog, isn't it.

Hakstol equals Woog, end of story.

I think that the "fighting sioux" got what they deserved.

Hakstol as a coach has no guts, especially with the bar incident in Grand forks, involving 3 of his players and one of them who had a previous DUI that no body heard about.

They admitted doing wrong, but now want a jury trial that was scheduled after the frozen four.

I have family and grand kids that live in Grand Forks, and they don't need to be exposed to drunk drivers, even if they are "fighting sioux" hockey players.

Go Spartans grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

( Note from Admin,Please read forum policy before posting again,Thank-you. )

From what I saw the NCAA didn't want to have the "sioux" nickname in the finals. The end of that game was a joke! Let the players play. Unless it's a trip that end up prventing a breakaway or results in a scoring chance, let the players decide the game...

I hate watching refs turn it into the "referee show".

UND did show some great heart, by fighting til the end!

Something I've never seen out of a gopher squad...

I'm not even a UND fan...

And as far as ND fighting til the end...I wouldn't consider it too much to ask for your players to at least skate to a loose puck, instead get beat (by a long shot) to the puck by a player you had a head start on...funny thing is...ended up being a pretty huge goal didn't it!! Let's face it, BC has 3 very solid lines and ND has about 1 and a third..that's what cost them! I would have liked to see the WCHA keep going as well, but it would have been a shame if BC didn't win that game...the much better team won the game!

( Note from Admin, Please read forum policy before posting again,Thank-you)

Quote:

From what I saw the NCAA didn't want to have the "sioux" nickname in the finals. The end of that game was a joke! Let the players play. Unless it's a trip that end up prventing a breakaway or results in a scoring chance, let the players decide the game...

I hate watching refs turn it into the "referee show".

UND did show some great heart, by fighting til the end!

Something I've never seen out of a gopher squad...

I'm not even a UND fan...

We must have been watching a different game; as I recall the Sioux got the benefit of 2 relatively soft calls at the end to give them PP chances to tie it up (one of which they scored on). As a matter of fact, the goal that lost the game was given up with them on the power-play. As for their "fight to the end"; it really showed up on that 1st empty-netter didn't it confused.gif They had no less than 2 guys with a head start on the BC players and they gave no effort to go get that puck, in fact I think the other BC player had a chance to make the play before the 1st Sioux player got there. As I recall that was a rather important goal wasn't it wink.gif

(Note from Admim,Please read forum policy before posting again,Thank-You.)

(Note from Admin,Please read forum policy before posting again,Thank-You.)

I didn't have a problem with the announcers the Camera coverage was atrocious, I think they may have been limited by the Arena, the replays were bad also.

How about that rink it looked like they had about 2 feet behind the net and the corners had a strange looking angle also.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Neutz68
      Yep that's us... Cabin #2 and #3...  You part of the other group we chat with up there??    
    • Walleyeslayer25
      Thanks for the reply.  Have had much time for research this year. Do you usually stay at pine tree cove? 
    • Rick
      People who enjoy the North Shore and Lake Superior and want to help shape its future are encouraged to consider volunteering to serve on the Governor’s Council on Minnesota’s Lake Superior Coastal Program.  This is a citizen advisory group that sets grant funding priorities, reviews grant applications and recommends projects to receive funding through the Coastal Program. All funded projects benefit Minnesota’s coastal area. The 15-member council is made up of three representatives each for Carlton, Cook, Lake and St Louis counties and three at-large positions that can be filled statewide. There are ten available seats on the council. The council meets about five times per year at various North Shore locations. Council members receive travel reimbursement and serve 60 to 70 hours per year while fulfilling a two or three year term. All adult Minnesotans are eligible to serve. Anyone interested can apply online at the Minnesota Secretary of State website or download a paper application. For more information about the Coastal Program’s work and service area, see the program webpage. Questions about the Coastal Program and application process can be directed to Amber Westerbur, Coastal Program manager, at 218-834-1445 or amber.westerbur@state.mn.us. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      The Department of Natural Resources will offer three northern Minnesota parcels in a public oral bid auction in June.  Two parcels in St. Louis County and one parcel in Beltrami County will be auctioned on Monday, June 26 at the DNR Office in Grand Rapids.  The properties include a developable lakeshore parcel on St. Mary’s Lake and a recreational parcel in the Kabetogama area, both in St. Louis County, and a 40-acre unimproved parcel in Lammers Township, Beltrami County. The area DNR Office is located at 1201 E. Highway 2, Grand Rapids, Minnesota, 55744. Registration will begin at noon, with auction at 1 p.m. Bidders are advised to obtain/view the property data sheet, be familiar with the property, minimum bid price, and terms and conditions of sale prior to attending the auction. Bidders must be registered before the 1 p.m. start time in order to bid. To obtain a property data sheet or terms and conditions of sale, call 651-259-5432, 888-646-6367 or email landsale@dnr.state.mn.us. The property data sheets are also available online at www.dnr.state.mn.us/lands_minerals/landsale/. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      There are plenty of fun places to go and things to do this Memorial Day weekend at Minnesota state parks and trails.  Here are some last-minute travel-planning tips: Camping. Sites are still available. Reservations are now required for all overnight stays at Minnesota state parks and recreation areas, and many sites are already booked, but here are some options: — Check www.mndnr.gov/reservations more than once. There are often cancellations, and the inventory of available sites changes all the time. –Take advantage of the long weekend to explore Minnesota’s northwest territory. Sites are easier to come by at the state parks and recreation areas in that part of Minnesota, and there are plenty of reasons why it’s worth the drive: — Zippel Bay State Park is located on south shore of vast Lake of the Woods, with a white sand beach. — Lake Bronson State Park has an observation tower that people can climb for a bird’s-eye view of the woods and wildlife below. — Plan a route to include visits to other state parks along the way, such as a stop to see the Headwaters of the Mississippi River at Itasca State Park. — Pitch a tent at a state forest, where no reservations are needed (or taken). Campsites at state forest campgrounds are all first-come, first-served. Naturalist-led programs. There are more than 100 programs taking place at state parks and trails over Memorial Day Weekend. For example:
      — Guided tours will take place throughout the weekend (and continue daily through Labor Day) at Forestville/Mystery Cave State Park in southeastern Minnesota and at Lake Vermilion-Soudan Underground Mine State Park near Ely in the northeast. Because the cave and mine tours are underground, it won’t matter if it rains. Reservations recommended; visit www.mndnr.gov/reservations for more information, including times and prices. —   Free guided tours over, under and through the fascinating rock formations known as glacial potholes will be offered Saturday, Sunday and Monday from noon to 1 p.m. at Interstate State Park. No reservations required. —  Plus, live reptiles, voyageur canoe rides, star programs, and more. For complete listings, check the online calendar. Discovery hikes. Look for deer, birds and wildflowers along one of the many scenic trails at Minnesota state parks and recreation areas. Pick up a Hiking Club kit ($14.95 at park offices), look for “secret passwords” on signs along specially marked trails and earn rewards. Two-wheel tours. Bike one of Minnesota’s many paved state trails. They’re free and mostly flat, because many of them are former railroad routes, and many of them now have trailside tune-up stations, if there is a need to tighten brakes or pump up tires. Find a trailhead at www.mndnr.gov/biking. Paddling. There are 35 state water trails, the newest of which is the 20-mile Shell Rock River. Many of the campsites along Minnesota’s rivers are first-come, first-served and free. See bison. See one herd at Blue Mounds State Park in southwestern Minnesota (and attend a program at 8:30 a.m. Saturday, May 27, about how the park’s bison herd links directly to the millions of bison that once roamed North America). Or drive through the bison range and see the other herd at Minneopa State Park in Mankato. Fishing. Minnesota residents don’t need a license and can fish for free at most state parks. Many park offices also loan out free fishing equipment for visitors to use. Or for people who have a license, they can wet a line at more than 1,600 fishing piers throughout the state. To find a nearby fishing pier, search by lake or county in the A-Z list at www.mndnr.gov/fishing_piers. Geocaching. Try this high-tech treasure hunt. Many parks loan out GPS units and offer programs to get started, such as the Intro to Geocaching program from 10 to 11 a.m. Monday, May 29, at Wild River State Park. For information, contact the DNR Information Center at info.dnr@state.mn.us or 888-646-6367 (8 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday). Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Guided public tours of Soudan Underground Mine, the state’s first iron ore mine, will resume for the 2017 season on Memorial Day weekend. Tours will be offered from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily, May 27 through Sept. 30, and on weekends only until Oct. 22 at Lake Vermillion – Soudan Underground Mine State Park near Tower.   Underground mine tours take visitors a half-mile down into the mine shaft in a hoisted “cage” and then for a three-quarter-mile train ride into the last and deepest area mined. Mine interpreters share information about the unique, high-quality iron formation and its contribution to the industrialization of the United States and the generations of people who worked in the mine from 1884 to 1962. “About 32,000 people take the underground mine tour each year, and it’s an experience you won’t find anywhere else in Minnesota,” said mine interpreter James Pointer. Guided tours are $12 for adults and $7 for children age 5-12. There is no cost for children under age 5. Hard hats are required and provided for underground tours, and visitors are encouraged to check the park Web page for suggestions about recommended footwear and clothing (it can be chillier than expected in the mine, because the temperature is 51 degrees Fahrenheit year-round). Visitors also can take a free, self-guided tour of the historic mining buildings that are above ground. For information about tours and reservations, visit www.mndnr.gov, email the DNR Information Center at info.dnr@state.mn.us or call 888-646-6367 between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Monday through Friday, between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. Saturday. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Attend an open house on Thursday, June 22, to help shape the future of St. Croix State Park. The open house will take place from 6:30 to 8 p.m. at the park’s St. Croix Lodge visitor center.  Staff from the Parks and Trails Division at the Department of Natural Resources will be available to answer questions and collect comments on the draft management plan for the park. The master plan will set the direction for the park for the next 15 to 20 years, with recommendations for managing natural and cultural resources and providing recreational and interpretative opportunities to park visitors. Recommendations in the draft plan include: Continuing efforts to restore pine barrens and oak savanna plant communities. Developing more staff-led interpretive programs. Renovating the Paint Rock Springs Campground. Creating new trails for hiking, biking, horseback riding. Designating trails for winter fat biking. The draft plan can be reviewed online. Copies are also available for review at the park office and at the DNR regional office, 1201 E. Hwy. 2, Grand Rapids. Anyone who can’t attend the open house can send comments to jade.templin@state.mn.us or to: MNDNR Parks and Trails Division
      St. Croix Management Plan comments
      500 Lafayette Road Box 39
      St. Paul, MN  55155-4039 The DNR will accept comments through Friday, July 7. Park visitors and the public have already participated in several ways during the development of the draft plan.  The DNR hosted an open house in June to gather initial input.  A citizen advisory committee then met four times over the summer and fall to identify issues and review proposals for the draft plan.  The DNR gathered additional input using an online survey and in-person interviews with park visitors. St. Croix State Park, established in 1943, is the largest Minnesota state park, with more than 34,000 acres of forests, prairie, wetlands and river shoreline. With many of its buildings and other facilities designed by the National Park Service and built by the Works Progress Administration and Civilian Conservation Corps, the park has been designated a National Historic Landmark.  After a 2011 windstorm caused significant damage, the park has been the focus of numerous restoration efforts. The park has miles of trails for hikers, horseback riders, bicyclists, snowmobilers and cross-country skiers.  Visitors can canoe, boat and fish on the St. Croix River – a National Scenic Riverway – and on the Kettle River, a State Wild and Scenic River.  There are three campgrounds, a horse campground, group camps, cabins and three modern group centers.  The park also has a picnic area, a swimming beach and a fire tower that visitors can climb for a panoramic view. The Matthew Lourey State Trail, which winds through the park, is open to hiking, horseback riding, mountain biking and snowmobiling. Visits to St. Croix State Park totaled more than 292,000 in 2016 (making it Minnesota’s eighth most visited state park) and more than 48,000 of them stayed overnight (second only to Itasca State Park). The park is located 20 miles east of Hinckley on state Highway 48.  For directions and a virtual tour, visit the park’s webpage. For information about the draft management plan, contact Jade Templin, principal planner, 651-259-5598 or jade.templin@state.mn.us. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      During the spring “cold water season” of Memorial Day weekend, boaters are reminded that wearing a life jacket is a safety necessity.  While boaters are encouraged to always wear a life jacket no matter the water temperature or season, public safety officials stress that wearing a life jacket – not just having it on the boat – is the one action that significantly increases the chances of surviving a fall into cold water. “The shock of falling into cold water triggers your gasp reflex, which more than likely means inhaling water,” said Lisa Dugan, boating safety representative with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. “Wearing a life jacket gives you a fighting chance to get your head above water, stay calm instead of panicking, and call for help before hypothermia sets in.” Despite recent warmer weather, water temperatures statewide are still below 70 degrees – cold enough to cause the gasp reflex and incapacitate even strong swimmers in less than one minute. In Minnesota, more than 30 percent of boating fatalities occur on cold water, and accident records show the victims are disproportionately male. “Over the past decade, we’ve seen a steady and troubling trend that indicates men between the ages of 20 and 60 are the most likely to drown while boating, and are the least likely to be wearing a life jacket,” Dugan said. “Cold water drowning victims in Minnesota are also much more likely to be anglers than any other type of recreational boater. Add this up, and it’s clear that if male anglers were to put their safety first and put on their life jackets, a significant percentage of boating deaths could easily be prevented.” Before the first launch of the season, anglers are also reminded to review boating regulations, inspect their watercraft and gear, enlist a mechanic to check exhaust systems for potential carbon monoxide leaks, and verify motorboats are equipped with the following: U.S. Coast Guard-approved wearable life jackets for each person onboard (children under 10 must wear a properly fitting life jacket while underway). A throwable flotation device on boats 16 feet or longer. A horn or a whistle. Type B, U.S. Coast Guard-approved fire extinguisher. Navigation lights in working order. Valid boat registration, with numbers visible. Watercraft can be registered in person at any deputy registrar of motor vehicles, at the DNR License Center in St. Paul, or online at mndnr.gov/licenses. Further details, including boater education requirements and information on preventing carbon monoxide poisoning while boating, can be found at mndnr.gov/boatingsafety. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Tom Buckles
      Any west end reports?
    • Neutz68
      Walleyeslayer25,   Group of us going up this weekend as well.. Sounds like Jig and minnow along shallow shoreline points, windswept shorelines and also some deeper water. We usually jig and pull Lindy rigs.. Always have decent luck fishing of the docks with slip bobbers too.  Check out www.gatewaygeneral.com.  There is a weekly fishing report posted on the website.