• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

small boat

braves57

Any of you ever taken a 14 foot with a 9 horse onto the big pond? Wondering if there is a bay that would be good to fish in? The main lake could be a little tricky if the wind were to pick up. How about in front of Lybacks? Thanks for any ideas!

you could try Isle bay, or wakon bay, they are on both sides of Lybacks, if the wind was down and the there isn't much in the way of waves you probably could be out infront of lybacks.

I have fished out of a 14 foot with a 9.9 hp for my whole life on the pond. A buddy and I ran from Isle to Wealthwood one flat sunny July day. My grandpa used to go to the flats all the time in a 14 footer. You need to use common sense and know your limits , but it can be done. I do have a 19 foot boat also, but from time to time I like to run the 14 footer. It trolls alot slower than the motor on the 19 foot.

Last fall with the low water, there were only 2 public accesses where I could get the 19 footer off the trailer. If we don't get alot of rain up there this spring I will be using the 14 foot alot more this year.

Years ago that was the norm to see 14-16 ft boats all over the pond. I remember going to the flats in a 16ft & 25 hp and I still do. You just need to watch the weather. There are plenty of other places you can fish with a smaller boat. It may be a slower and somewhat rougher ride but you can get it done.

Wear a life jacket and learn how to swim. I wouldn't, I have the same set up as a second boat on Pelican, I won't even try it on that lake on a somewhat windy day because I spend more time bailing it out than fishing. Your life, be careful.

i think that would be a great boat/motor to fish the bays for panfish just after the ice goes out. i used a 16' w/25hp for pretty many years on mille lacs. know your limits and dont exceed them. the biggest problem i had using that combination was backtrolling if there was any wind...came closer than i ever want to come again to swamping once. one of my fishing buddies still uses a 16' crestliner w/40hp honda.

regards,

minnesotatuff

I've fished isle bay out of a canoe a couple times. Caught some giant smallies, lot's of perch (a few keepers), and a walleye here and there. Would've much rather been in a boat, but you use what's available at the time, right? I think you'll be fine. Well I hope you'll be fine...I have a 14 footer with a 7.5 HP motor, and I plan on fishing some big bodies of water this year. So if you have problems I'll be screwed with my rig.

I have been out on the pond in a 16 with a 25 plenty of times, even in 4 foot waves and not had a problem. My grandpa used my current boat a 14 with a 9.8 on the back out there for years, and yeah it can be scary at times, but if you pay attention it is manageable. Just be careful and if they call for much wind, find a smaller lake.

Tom

I've got a 16ft lund with a 40 horse, probaby fish Mille lacs 30 times a year with out a problem. You just have to know your limits. If it's too windy on the spot you want to fish, go to the other side of the lake, there's lot of good fishing to be had.

There is a big difference between a 16ft and a 14ft boat. 14ft. is pushing the limits on even a relatively calm day. But I have said this before, it has everything to do with the driver and knowing your capabilities. I have seen a 21ft Ranger with a 225hp flying through the waves 6ft tall. And you know what happened. He was going to fast and jump the next wave and landed in the bottom of the wave. The front of the boat went right into the middle of the wave bent his trolling motor, messed up his electronics and not to mention throwing everyone in the boat onto the deck. He was not driving to the situation and he paid for it.

Personally 14 is to small for the big pond unless it is dead calm and clear forcastes.

I realize this, and that's why I was replying to Caleb and not the original poster, as he was asking about a 16ft w/40hp, which I happen to own so I was throwing in my .02 from lots of personal experience with it on this lake.. the title is small boat, right. thanks though

Easy Worm. I wasn't responding to just your comments. I was making a general statement, I just replied to the last poster. I was not taking a shot at you or your boat (sure it's a nice boat). I am sure your post was relevant to Caleb, I was just saying that no matter the size of the boat, you have to drive to its limitations and conditions. I was actually acknowledging your comments, saying a 16ft. boat is total different than a 14ft boat and would be fine if driven to the conditions.

I appreciate your comments on clarifying the title of this thread though. Next time spend more time reading the whole comment for comprehension before responding.

ive seen some 12 footers out there too!

regards,

minnesotatuff

Just be careful not to be caught on the Autobahn (sp?) on your Moped either...

Launches are cheap...

In my early twenties, I thought it would be a neat thing to go out of this world in the open water on Mille laces. I was braver then and would stay out way past when I should of went in. No matter how far I pushed it I was very lucky to make it back. I sure scared the heck out of a couple of my buddies a time or two. I grew up on boats and Mille Laces and it does take a certain skill when you find your self in big rollers. Trim up and go slow. Watch and learn the wave rotation during your situation. Big waves not taken right can roll a boat. Head on, you usually only take on water when going slow. The bilges can take car of water, if you have them. I count the waves and get an idea of when the big one it coming. After years of doing this you get the throttle reaction down to an art. All though in the right circumstance, the most seasoned Mille laces captain can go down. After watching my father in-law die of brain cancer the past year, I know me fearlessness of storm water on Mille Laces would come back if I was diag. with that crap. Come in early and fish another day. Good luck!

I agree with you shackbash, as long as you know your boats limitations you'll be OK. I fished out of 14' with a 20hp for many years. It had all the wiring fused, bilge pump, splash guards and everything was in proper working order. I bought the boat my self when I was 14 and knew what that boat could take. I had this boat five miles out on Lake of the Woods and honest 4' waves started rolling. I took it slow and made it no problem. The motor came out of the water on every wave but I was in control. I'd fish out of that boat over some big boats with older motors or poorly set up. The key to being safe is don't over weight the boat. If you stay light and use your head you won't get into any trouble. I've helped people out that had an 18 foot boat with a huge old motor on it. They swamped it and the motor wouldn't even run anymore. They looked pretty happy to hop in my 14 footer so I could take em back to shore.

I guess in short as long as you're confident and know what your doing I'd fish everyday I could on the pond with a small boat. With that said being you posted this question, I'd say you don't trust yourself or the boat so I'd be cautious at first if I was you. Stay with in a mile from shore and learn what your boat can handle.

Pieeyed,

You made me think of something. I am going to start a post on it right now. The poor mans bildge.

I just bought a 16.5 ft Alumacraft with a 75 on it. Is that going to be enough boat to head out to Mille Lacs a few times this year. I don't like going out with big rollers on teh water, but I've only got a year of boating under me so want to learn as much as I can before I head out.

Sand

I have gone out of MyrMar in 17ft Warrior w/75 hp tiller with the wind blowing 25-35 out of the southeast. Very rough to say the least. After fishing the rocks we drove out to 9 mi. It took 40 min. 5-8mph boat trimmed way up. I guess what I'm saying if you know your boat/motors capablities you can go out in most anything. Be sure you get some experience under your belt if you are going to attempt big waves in any boat.

Sandmannd, If you pick your days and watch the weather you should be fine. I wouldn't suggest going out with high winds or chance of storms. I would also pick the non-windy side of the lake and wear your life jacket. You will be fine, just take the proper precautions.

Sandmannd,

I fished Mille Lacs out of a 16" Alumacraft with a 25 H.P. for ten years and never once got in to trouble. My friend fished out of the classic red Lund 16" with a 25 H.P. for years also. Up until the early nineties you saw more 16' boats with 15 to 40 H.P. motors than anything else. No as far as fishing with a 14' goes, I wouldn't. But if a person knows what they're doing and watches the conditions carefully, it can be done.

Is the ice far enough away from the shore to get out there with a 14 footer.Thanks for the help.

Years ago my neighbors were always on Mille Lacs and they had a 16foot Lund with twin 25hp's on it. Mille Lacs was the lake that they most often fished. They went all over the lake, crossing it numerous times a day in that boat.

A couple years ago I was on a fishing trip out of Miami and I was amazed to see how small of boats people brought out into the ocean. I remember seeing 4 local dudes out in a VERY old 14 foot fiberglass tri hull runabout. They had this thing tricked out deleting all of the seats and the windshield. Also in place of where the old 55 chrysler probably once was, sat about a mid 60's evinrude 10 horse tiller. There was 2 guys fishing, one driving and one bailing like crazy. The seas were probably 8-10 feet that day. I almost completely lost interest in fishing that day as I was so fixated on watching these guys. After a while it was evident that they knew what they were doing and this probably wasn't their first or last trip in that boat. This crew would probably laugh at Mille Lacs in their little vintage pleasure craft. LOL!!

LM grin.gif

thats a great story! you can bet that old tri-haul was probably a boston whaler.

regards,

minnesotatuff

A whaler can go anywhere, I love those boats. Funnest ride was in a 13 foot whaler w/ side steering wheel and a 40 horse merc. optimax! What a rush, I know we cleared 4 feet of air when wake jumping behind the big river cruisers.

I don't think it was a Whaler. Looked more like an old Forester. This thing was a pale yellow, and probably the ugliest boat I ever saw. I seriously looked like a boat that someone salvaged from the dump.

LM

MKnHL6vPWxV9+aS2TYmqziYDMNGZu0uY0300.jpg

This was my Mille Laces Queen for 8 years. I do not know how I did it in my early twenties, I would take this thing out over a hundred times a year. I loved every minute of it. This boat has been to he11 and back "twice". Note the power tilt. There was none. I used a tie down cinch strap to adjust motor and hold up in transit (note in photo). I was nuts! This was taken out the front door of my fish house at old Karpon's, now Appledorns. No buddy gave me any sh#!@% about it, because I was young and fished twice a week and every weekend. I made it work. Old Joe Karpon used to say it was not a tri-haul, but a single haul with fins on side. He didn’t care, he loved Chryslers and this a Chrysler boat and motor (1981). Karpon's would back a tractor in with your trailer on it when unloading and loading. Can you imagine trying this with no tilt. I made it work. Had it down to under 30 second's in a month or two. You had too, Joe would yell at ya if you didn’t. My family and friends had many good memories in this boat! I have her in 4’-7’ waves and lived to tell the story.