Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thistlekicker

Orvis wonderline

7 posts in this topic

Anyone have experience with this stuff? Thinking about picking up a cheap intermediate line. Is it worth the $30 they're asking? For some reason I'm suspicious...

sierra trading post has had the wonderlines for $30, and so did orvis at their sale outlet. I've never used the line myself, but I don't think I'd be suspicious. There are only a few manufacturers of fly lines, and they basically relabel the lines for different brands, from what I've heard.

With their reputation and longevity in the business, I don't think they would be putting out a suspect fly line...

I'd say go for it.

I've got two - both bonefish lines. I like them very much. Better than Rio, Cortland or Scientific anglers of the same type. They are much thinner overall and do have a very slippery surface that seems to last in spite of use and cleaning.

$30.00 sounds awfully cheap? Again, I'm into the tropical floating variety, but I'd scoop them up.

Craig

Wonderline is made by S.A. Just an FYI

I got one a few years ago on eBay as a "second" and I like it very much. I think it may have been the last line I've bought so technology may have improved in the meatime. But, "yes" they are good lines. I think I paid just under $20 after shipping, but there is something to be said for being able to return it if you happen to not like it. I'd say that they are every bit as good or better than other lines that retail in that $30-40 range.

I'm a rio guy, but the lines i use are all in the 60$ range. I have used some scientific angler lines in the 40$ range and don't have anything bad to say about them. I have also used different cortland lines in the 30-40$ range and you couldn't pay me to use them again. I have heard from a few people that fish running lines that the orvis wonderline is the way to go but i have never tried it myself. if you find a line that works for you at 30$ that's a steal!

Well the Wonderline is normally up in the $65 range so if price is any indicator of quality it should be respectable. Of course, Orvis also sells a lot of expensive crap( $130 Theraputic Dog Nest, anyone?), so I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was worthless.

Wonderfully worthless, of course, being the Wonderline and all.

But the other positive reviews here make me lean towards the $30 gamble. Thanks guys if I end up getting it I'll post a review.