Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MSchmillen

Nisswa Area Ice

10 posts in this topic

How's it looking for this weekend? Am I going to be able to get on the ice?

hipboots/waders and then maybe... It's tough man, Alltime high of 78 degrees in Brainerd yesterday won't really help make any ice.

Was out yesterday, an that is it for me this year. In the last 2 days, the lake I fihed lost at least 8 inches of ice.

The center of the ice is also turning more white, indicating that it is absorbing water, so the honeycombing process is beginning.

I was driving my vehicle on the ice Friday. Now I won't even walk on it - conditions changed that fast.

On a good note, the panfish bite on North Long is pretty good!

smartguy, you fishing out of Merrifield Bay? Was out Saturday afternoon........was a very good Gill bite.

If you guys could, let me know how it looks again in a day or two.

Thanks

Quote:

smartguy, you fishing out of Merrifield Bay? Was out Saturday afternoon........was a very good Gill bite.

Yep, I was fishing Merrifield Bay about two days ago, right after the rainstorm. Lots of smaller crappies and panfish. and then the bigger ones bit at sundown.

I've also fished a few other local lakes with limited success as well. I then went to North Long, as it is always the standby lake for late ice pannies.

Are you still venturing out, JPZ?

Nope! Saturday was my last day....want to hit a few lakes, but this weather isn't making it easy. And Saturday I did well enough to say I had a good last hoorah.

Went out on two area lakes yesterday. Made it out on the wheeler. With the rain last night it will be tough to get out on foot by the weekend

Drove by access on Merrifield Bay last night. You will definately need at leaast hip boots to get out there. I saw probably 10 people out there and the ice was away from shore about 10 ft. Be careful out there you diehards! smirk.gif

CA

IMO this is the week that diehard ice guys become dumb or dead fisherman if they keep swimming to get on the last remaining ice cube in the middle. We started the winter with a tragedy this winter on thin ice on Round, lets be careful guys and not end it on the same note...