Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tyler Holm

Ice Free Zumbro Report (3/26/07) (3 pics)

3 posts in this topic

I heard the Zumbro opened up today, so I cleared my evening schedule and phone Nick. We got on the water around 6:00 and there was no sign of ice. 82 degrees and sunny. It really didn’t matter if we caught a single fish as we were content with the weather and being on the open water.

There was some debris in and around the channel and some of those logs you would not want to hit. We also so 1 tire, and part of a dock afloat.

We worked a bit of shoreline with no luck, but at spot #2, we found fish. It was the stuff where you had a bite everytime you made a decent cast into the “zone”. The crappies were doing the up bite thing and would often hit your lure on the drop before the bobber even stood up.

Oh, by the way the old THO 1/32 oz collarless jig head (chart or lime green) was the answer with about any color of Culprit paddletail. I started with the junebug color, then went white/chart, to blue/clear and hit fish on all. Nick worked a pinkish one with success as well. We fished about 2-3’ down in about 5-8FOW. There was lots of sunken wood in the area.

The big fish were the first takers. I pulled out about 15 (all over 10”) while Nick worked on a nice little tangle. As soon as his hit lure hit the water, the size dropped a bit, but the action stayed consistent.

About 35 fish blessed us today. 2 gills (7.5") and 1 largie (12”) and the rest were crapps. 3 over 11” with the largest going 11.25” Prob 20 went over 10”

All fish were released on this glorious day.

We put quite a few whitties in the boat today.

ty_white_crappie.jpg

11.25”

ty_black_crappie.jpg

Nick got one to measure up nicely.

nick_crappie.jpg

very nice report. wish i could have made it out

Way to go guys! cool.gif