Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBMasterAngler

Upper Snake River For Fishing Opener?

10 posts in this topic

I was thinking of hitting the snake river upstream of mora for the opener. I found a spot last summer that looked really nice to launch a canoe. Caught a couple bass from shore despite the drought conditions. I figure the water will be higher and cooler so the fishing should be good. Could be my only chance to escape the crowds that day too. Anyone know what the water levels on the snake up there are like right now? A prediction on how they'll be on the opener?

Here's a link to a USGS guage on the Snake near Pine City.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/mn/nwis/uv?05338500

I have seen the Snake so high opener that you could barely squeeze a boat under the bridge by Pokegama and so low that a 5 mph breeze could blow you up river. So, it's pretty hard to make a guess.

I believe the stretch by Mora is frequented by kayak races in the spring. I think that piece of river can get busting pretty good if the water is up.

Thanks for the link. Do they keep it pretty well updated? Kayaks huh? They'd stay off all waters on that day if they knew what was best for them. I honestly can't remember the county road it's off of, but it's probably about 10 miles north of town.

The site is updated every 6 hours, I think. My kayak reference was to imply that the stretch near Mora can turn to whitewater in the spring. That's why they race there. I don't know the exact stretch they run.

Do you fish the snake alot? I LOVE that river!!! It's easily my top 1 or 2 favorite rivers in the state! I've fished just about every access from the headwaters down to where it empties into the croix. Caught some nice fish, and a good variety too.

JB,

Yes, I do fish it a fair amount. It certainly has it moments. But, at the very least it gets you away from boat traffic.

Do you know anything about the kettle river...particularly the stretch upstream from where the dam used to be? I think the DNR forgot there was a waterfall behind that dam. My assumption is all the fish washed downstream when they took down the dam, and because of the waterfall fish can't move upstream. And because the water level is lower the rapids farther up are more extreme so fish don't move downstream. So I was just wondering if there are anymore fish in that stretch of the river? I've fished it twice since the removel and caught nothing. Not even a redhorse!

Sorry, I know nothing about the Kettle. However, there are some guys around here that have discussed it before.

To catch fish on the Kettle your going the wrong way! every june I'd go with a friend one car parked down stream,brought a tent & bags.Walleyes lots,Smallies more crapies & sunfish.At night camping cut bait out for cats always 2-5 around 5-12lbs.GREAT FISHIN,from Sandstone downstream & no people!!

It's just that one stretch I haven't had success with. When I was real young me and my dad would fish there while the dam was still up and do real well on bass, walleyes, and pike. I've had success with bass and pike from the access out of hinckley, upstream to the grindstone river.