Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bucktailsam

winona area shore fishing

5 posts in this topic

Hello I am new to the area and I was just wondering when fish start moving into the backwater areas and what I might expect to find just fishing from shore. Any help or reports will be appreciated

Thanks

Sam

I haven't fished from shore in Winona for years but back when I did there were lots of good spots. When the river goes down a bit the boat landing past the spillway on prairie island was a good spot for panfish and northerns. Anyplace along the river in town with rip-rap rocks has potential for smallies. Across the bridge there are spots under the bridge near the landing for catfish, rough fish, etc... The 5th street bait shop can give you some current advice too.

good luck!

i lived there 7 or 8 years ago and used to fish the dam early for walleye, sauger and you could usually pick up a smallie or two. just cross the bridge and go north you can't miss it, if you've never been. the small culvert by the barges can be really good, if there aren't 15 people trying to fish it. i almost always caught fish at the homer tressle also. got a 29 1/4" eye on my wall thanks to that spot cool.gif there is so mush shore fishing there, not to mention the trout streams. why did i ever leave? confused.gif

There are really a lot of places to fish from shore. There is also lake Winona and many other small lakes that are holding great numbers of fish. You could try bartlets which is by the airport or the harley lake which is by the Harley Davidson shop. Let me know if you need more ideas.

jd welcome and thanks for the tips always great to recieve local boys tips. i also would say lake winona i think it is over looked since the river is so close but it is an excellent fishery that doesn't get nearly as much attention as it would if it were in rochester!!! Good luck

let us know how you do.

ike