• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Orchard Lake Update

GlassEyeangler

I swung by the lake today, and it looks like about 1/2 of it is open. It's mostly open in the middle and on the west side. The access is still pretty frozen, as well as the beach area. I was talking to a City of Lakeville offical, and he said a couple to 3 more days at temps like today, and some wind, will get it open the rest of the way. I wouldn't doubt it if we see boats out there this weekend.

I noticed one dead bullhead and walleye on the shoreline, but that's typical when the ice melts. I just hope the walleye wasn't from someone leaving it on the ice during the season!?!

My buddy lives across the street from the lake. He just called me 5 minutes ago and said 80% of the ice is off.

Sad to here about the dead walleye on shore though. They're in there just can't find em.....

If I wasn't going to be on the River this weekend...I would be on Orchard making sure the boat still works. grin.gif

That's funny you say you are having trouble getting the 'eyes to bite...I have never landed one in the boat, but caught a few on the ice. Kinda wierd!

Interesting. I haven't spent much time looking for them out there to be honest. With the exception of last year I am on Orchard constantly just because it's close to home.

PS. As of this morning the lake is completely open.

I live right by Orchard Lake also. My son told me that on the way home from school he could see from the school bus that Orchard was about 1/2 open. I passed by Orchard late in the day and I couldn't see any ice.

Man, was it melting fast yesterday!

WooHoo - i'll swing by on my way home from work, then go grab my boat! I'm like you, I fish that lake a lot because it's no more than 10 mins away.

The biggest fish I ever caught there was a 27" tiger musky. I went out the day after Thanksgiving last year, and after a couple of hours of nothing, I tied on a #6 Rapala Black Shad. I was in 23 fow, so I'm guessing the lure was down about 6 to 8 feet!?! I was trolling a little faster than normal, when I felt it bite. It hit hard. Actually I was waiting on my buddy to get off work, and I didn't anticipate catching anything because, we was bringing the bait. He he...needless to say he was a little upset when he saw the picture, as I turned it loose. Not sure how to attach the pic to this forum, but willing to share...any help??

Honestly, I think the ice fishing is much more productive. I fished the lake a 1/2 a dozen times this winter, and never got skunked - crappies, walleyes and sunnys...fun stuff!

The guy at Gander said the biggest musky pulled out of that lake was 42", and it was a tiger...pretty sweet!

I'll report in tomorrow.

Now I need to come up with an excuse to put the boat in the water tonight...hmm.

Quote:

ow I need to come up with an excuse to put the boat in the water tonight...hmm.

I'm sure the bottom of your boat is dirty, best way to clean it off is to put it in the lake and take it for a spin. While you're there there's no sense in not bringing the poles and bait.

Anyone going to be out there tomorrow? I will try to be if i can so if you see a red 14 ft boat woth a 4 horse thats me. The weather is going to be pretty bad but I need to get the boat out before I head out for spring break. cool.gif Man I wish I would have known this earlyer today, because I would have gone for sure. frown.gifsmirk.gif

I tried getting out tonight, but my wife put her foot down. I hate when that happens! Instead of fishing I was forced to watch American Idol.

I'm going to try tomorrow afternoon. The weather might be up to no good, so i might not go...i'll check the weather in the morning. I'm in an older alumacraft with a 25 johnson - maybe i'll see you out there. Weather would be the only thing holding me back.

I agree...this afternoon would have been the time to go!

Hey Beef, there are no fish in Orchard. If there are you have to get your boys out soon to show you how to fish that lake. wink.gif

To get out early this year I'm going to have to take my little girl out to have at it.

Good luck and get into a few on the river this weekend.

later

Try for the Walleyes in the shallower water. How you find them & catch them is up to you. There aren't many but their there.

Rain...uugghhh!

I'm gonna hold off on fishing today, even though I have rain gear.

There are fish in Orchard, but you gotta work at it to get them in the boat. It's a hoot to bring home fresh crappie for dinner, and the outing doesn't empty my wallet!

Quote:

If there are you have to get your boys out soon to show you how to fish that lake.
wink.gif

This invite is already out......you donkeys just gotta take the bait!!!! grin.gif

I got out yesterday, and did more boating than fishing. I got to use my new (used) trolling motor, and It works great. I even got to ude my ne gps, and I got up to 11.1mph with the 4 horse, which isnt so bad. laugh.gif

I got out this afternoon. The weather was peerrrffecttt for the wrong kind of fish...you know, the one's that are not legal to catch, hmmm. I didn't even bring my big rod with, I just tossed in my crappie pole and headed out. I fished a little all over, but had some luck on the north side close to the little cove in about 8 to 10 fow. My buddy and I were catching crappies and sunnies close to dark.

Good Times!