Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hoffer

How to repack wheel bearings...

13 posts in this topic

Hey all-

I was told by my local mechanic that I should repack my whell bearings every spring. i have a 3 year old shorelander trailer. It is a 2100 pound trailer and I have a 16 foot Lund rebel that I tow on it. It has "bearing buddies" that I faithfully keeped lubed up. I travel about 1200 miles a year on the trailer. Usually one or 2 trips to canada and then local trips.

Anyway, is it difficult to repack your own bearings?? Should I for sure have them done if it hasnt been done in 3 years - even if I have bearing buddies? If I dont do it myself - the local guy said he would do it for 125.00 or 150.00 for both. Is this high?

Thanks for any advice - and remember I have relatively low skills and mechanical knowledge when it comes to this kind of stuff grin.gif

I check and repack mine every fall. I have bearing buddy's. The problem comes if water gets inside and the bearings or races start to pit. I do mine in the fall because if water does get in it doesn't sit all winter and have a chance to do the damage. $125 is not bad if that includes the seals. You can do it your self if you don't mind getting dirty.

Regardless of Bearing Buddies I try to re-pack (or at least inspect for water contamination) every year. Mainly in the fall, not spring, because rust is major enemy during the off season. When spring arrives everything's ready to roll.

I also put new seals everytime I re-pack the bearings.

All it took was one really bad experience to learn my lesson. blush.gif

Click here:

Bearings re-pack 101

I dont have bearing buddies....but I do check my bearings once a year...if I see any signs of rust or damage...I replace them. I also carry two extra full sets and all the tools to replace them in my boat.....just in case I have a problem on the road.

I just followed the easy directions ChuckN posted...and I could do mine in less than a hour...and I am by no means good with tools....so I think pretty much anyone can do it....and it was wwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy cheaper then 125.00.

Good luck.

I'm pretty sure you can buy brand new pair of prepacked hub assemblies at Northern Tool for like $47.99.

No reason to pay any more than that wink.gif

One thing to remember about buddy bearing you are only greasing the outside bearing. Very little grease gets to the inside bearing. Now trailers that are newer and have a rubber plug on the end of the dust cap and a grease zirk underneath are better. They have a small hole in the axle shaft that is between the bearings so when you grease it grease both bearings with that it is still a really god idea to grease them every year though.

I repack every fall!

I've been thinking about having a bearing packing seminar. I might start a new thread and see if anybody is interested.

it is an easy job but it still can be done wrong.

I would be interestes in the seminar. I'm about as mechanicly inclined as a nat, but can pick up the easy things.

I will be including info on trailer wheel bearing maintenance in a "Lube Tip" I will be releasing later this week. The whole thing will be longer than reasonable to post here, so request it to be sent direct to you: Lube Tip e-mail and you will get it first.

Last time I checked, auto service centers wanted about $30 to repack both bearings on a trailer. $125 seems pretty high.

The other thing to remember you can go an buy a little tool that repacks them for you. I got one at Mills Fleet Farm but I still find myself throwing the grease in the palm of my hand and packing them the old fashion way. You are going to have to get dirty if you are going to do it yourself no way around it.

Quote:

I still find myself throwing the grease in the palm of my hand and packing them the old fashion way.

Its almost therapeutic isn't it! grin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

I still find myself throwing the grease in the palm of my hand and packing them the old fashion way.

Its almost therapeutic isn't it! grin.gif

I guess it might be grin.gif but it also just seems to be the best way to do it.