Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peder

back in MN

6 posts in this topic

I just moved back to MN, I live in Chanhassen. Are there any good public places to fish the river from the bank? I don't have a boat yet. I grew up in Marshall and fished cats in the Minnesota near Granite Falls, also in the Yellow Medicine and Des Moines rivers.

Hey Peder welcome to FM and back to MN. There are an abundance of spots to fish from shore on the river. Most of the land directly adjacent to the shore is public land usually with a trail to boot. Most of the easy access areas also have some traffic (other fishermen) to deal with. Sometimes good, other times, not so good. What would you like to catch?

Living in Chan, I would recommend Carver. There is a public launch there with a tressle bridge and an area with a small creek coming in. Lots of good areas, different structure and depths to try.

Thanks for the reply. I would mostly be fishing for cats. Also what would be a good sized boat/motor combo for the river? I'm thinking of something for summer when the water is lower.

I think the rig I have, which is a 14ft w/25hp is probably the minimum you would want. Yes you can get by with less and plenty use a 15hp. I think that is going to be fine also.

It doesn't have to be anything special. It sure is nice to bounce off/over logs, run into sand and not worry too much about it. With a larger boat this will become a bit more worrysome, not only for your safety, but also for your pocketbook.

Unless of course that bigger boat is a RiverPro.

for what it's worth- a 14' runabout with a 15hp works fine on the upper miss just fine for me.

I wish that i could afford a riverpro. I think I'll start looking for a 14' jon with a decent motor. Any other sugestions on rigging it?