Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
terryt

iceout

21 posts in this topic

just wandering if the ice is off of walker lake or any other lake yet

All I can say is it won't be long.My guess for Ice out is 04/12/07

The lake that I was on last night had maybe 18 inches, it is hard yet and hasn't got that mushy feel to it. After today that could all change with the sun beating down on it.

I would say that it will be by April 10th or before and most of the lakes around here will be open.

With that being said I can't wait to get out tonight, nothing beats sitting on the ice in a T-shirt, and a life jacket....

GRAND DAD- we finally got into the tullibees this past weekend...

Well am glad somebody did. There was about 15 people fishing for them on star in the spot I was at and not one person caught one.I saw one guy have a bite. Everybody that was there the moring before said the maked a lot but still nobody got any and on Sat I maybe marked 4 fish from 7am to 9:30am. I did however go over to a difrent lake and cought some dandy pearch 11 to 12 inches and the fastest pearch I have ever seen and It was so nice fishing on a bucket and wearing a t shirt.

I am guessing April 16 for ice out on S. Turtle. I made that prediction to my wife last Friday. Looks like it will come off a little earlier by the looks of it today.

I am sticking a fork in what was an excellent ice season.

Time to get the boat ready!

Let's all go with one lake for guessing, how about the big OT

April 15th for Ottertail

Otherwise S Turtle

April 10th

It is going fast, vacuumed out the boat and have refilled the lower unit!!

I was out last night for the last time...

The ice is extremely soft and honeycombed which is a big difference from 24 hours before. The weather for the next three days is calling for 25-35 mph winds with rain and never getting below freezing... I will move my day for ice off up 3 days to the 7th.

April 1 grin.gif

We had our docks in on East Battle not too many years ago on April Fools Day. The ice was being blown to the south end of the lake and we dumped everything in. Crossed our fingers it wasnt gonna shift 180 degrees and blow it all back to the north end. ooo.gif

I'm guessing were going to get some rain before the second week in april so the lake will soften up and ice will be off before then ... 10th i'm guessing....spring crappie fishing is right around the courner...

tb

I want to move my dates up 10 days, the wind, the rain, the sun, everything is eating away at the ice. Setting up for a great opener!

Hey Gissert! How about another early season picture of your crappie excursion on S.T. From the background, I think I know where you were. One more photo to triangulate your position would be appreciated. cool.gif

Keep me posted on ice out.

HERT

Geeze, I better be more careful with my photos, LOL.

Hmmm... if hert is referring to that pic of you standing outside my Otter in your blaze orange attire, there's no way there's background in that one. grin.gif

Nobody will ever key into that "X" spot in those crappie photos... no worries Giss. wink.gif LOL

Too late we all know the spot! Monster slabs!

private mail if you want the spot to "thespotforbigslabs at hotmail (Contact Us Please)" grin.gif

How much ice left on ottertail and any chance there'll be open water by next weekend?

OT lake still covered with ice except where the river comes in. I've been up here since Friday afternoon and our rain gauge in now up to 4" since we got here.

Where is the pic of Gissert's crappie spot?? Inquiring minds want to know??

I could probably drive across the lake and just offer Gissert up some venison sticks for a little info. wink.gif

Hey Chuck,

We are planning a boys weekend April 21 and since you have predicted the ice to be out, we'll put the docks and lifts in then. Those S Turtle sunnies tasted dang good

I think I now know what spot you guys are referring to...I know where the photo is, and am not telling. LOL

Don't give in to any jerky temptations, Gissert. grin.gif

Wow, there must be some great pictures out there. smile.gif

Maybe a couple that are being used for blackmail???? (What are friends for?)

The picture I was referring to was one posted on FM of, I believe, a little Gissert holding a papermouth. I went back on the thread to a year ago, but so far can't find it. I did find that someone has a b-day coming up pretty soon though. shocked.gif

Too late.... grin.gif

April 19 for OT?