• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

East or West End for Smallies?

Hey guys, I'm a vermilion virgin, planning on popping my cherry the second week of June. What would you all suggest as for which end of the lake to target for smallies, or for that matter wallies too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, will be bringing my 16ft Lund....does the lake get mean in any areas or is it pretty protected for the most part.

Thanks,

WV

Both ends of Vermilion are great for smallies and walleyes, but I am partial to the Tower end for both.

The Big Bay area can get really mean even for a big boat but there are plenty of spots to get out of the wind and still catch fish.

Cliff

I'd agree with Cliff both ends are good producers for both walleyes and smallies. I'm particular to wherever I'm fishing, or should I say catching at that moment! I did an west end and an east end trip last year, did well on both! I'll be up first week of June this year on the west end, but will hit the east end at least once.

WV are you still planning, or have you already made plans on where you're staying? That could help in directing you.

I'll list the resort options that I have right now. There aren't a lot of choices based on the dates I have set aside (2nd week of June), and my late decision making.

Here they are:

Glenmore Resort, Voyageur Cove, Whispering Winds, Naughton's Cove, Retreat Lodge, and Forest Lane.

I want to get the trip booked before this weekend (people at the NW Sports Show may book trips).

Any advice, pros/cons would be awesome. Thanks for your help so far guys.

- WV

Where are the smallies in september? If I'm lucky I might be able to sneak in a weekend up there that month.

Glenmore and Forestlane are both great resorts on the East end! laugh.gif

The smallies are on the mid-lake rock piles in Sept.

Cliff

Thanks. I'll be sure to post more questions as time nears.

good options all the way around....good smallie at any time in the time period you are going.......its lake vermilion....not east or west.....but yes it is....never seen a lake that can be so different from one end to the next....i must be alright to have to adjust to that all the time........................set it ,hook it ,cut it!!!!!

The second week of June is typically some of the best Smallmouth action of the entire season. You should find most of them in late prespawn, or up on the beds. There will however, be fish in all phases of the spawning cycle, depending on where you go on the lake.

For my money, I'd concentrate on the east end for the simple reason that most of the best spawning habitat you'll ever see, is on the east side. The DNR numbers for their 2006 fish assesments show a marked difference in Smallmouth numbers, between the east and west end. I spend a lot of time on both ends of the lake and in my opinion, it's no contest, the east side is far superior when it comes to Smallmouth bass.

Retreat Lodge is also a great place to stay, it is located right in the middle of the lake and it is close to great fishing for all species.

"Ace"

welcome back. I am glad to see you.

Now I have to go find the 2006 assessment. I missed that.

I couldn't find the 2006 assessment, only 2005 which said "The smalimouth bass catch was higher on East Vermilion than West Vermilion, although bass catches are usually higher on West Vermilion."

I looked at both dnr lakefinder and (Contact Us Please)

Is it online somewhere? Or did SCLV print it?

Terry,

Welcome back!! laugh.gif

Good to have your expertice advice again!

Cliff

The last week of May through the first two to three weeks of June present the best smallmouth fishing of the season. My logs have shown the last week of May and first week of June have been better these past two seasons with the latter being better in later years past. I would suspect that will hold true again this year with the light winter and (hopefully) early spring. I am on the west end and smallmouth fishing is awesome. Our resort is usually full of bass fisherman during that time as we have come to market to that audience due to the fishing. I have a couple of guys who come every year and keep a painstakingly accurate count of fish they catch. They could only make it for three days last year. 3 days = 222 Smallmouth. Most of those fish within under a mile away from the resort. Vermilion is an awesome smallmouth lake, especially in the "spring".

Doug

Hey Doug,

Didn't mean to imply that the smallmouth fishing was bad on the west end, I just think it's a bit better on the east end. I have had some great days on the west end over the years and you get a chance to catch some nice largemouth as well. We don't get a lot of them on the east end, unless you really know where to look. I know you don't get a chance to fish the east end much, so one of these days we'll have to hook up, and I'll show you what I'm talking about. smile.gif

"Ace"

I've stayed at Forest Lane several times before. Nice resort, great people!Dave and Pat are excellent hosts! Good evening dock bite the time of year you're going to be up. You wouldn't regret that choice!

What's the typical size you guys are seeing? It seems like I've usually gotten more smallies outta vermillion but the biggest one of the trip always comes outta trout

Im the opposite. I catch way more bass in Trout, but every single bass I catch in Vermilion is bigger than the all ones in trout!

troutlake3.jpg

Hey Sledneck-

Was this picture taken very near Wake-em-up bay on the West End?

Doug

Ok guys, got it narrowed down to Forest Lane or Retreat Lodge. Any thoughts on which would be better/more accessable to good fishing. Thanks for all your advice so far.

-WV

Thanks Sled-- sure looked a lot like Norwegian Point in the background suggesting that that beautiful smallie might have come off the unmarked reef south of turtle island.

Terry,

You are right-- I really don't get down to the east end much. I think I have been down there twice in my years here. Not that I don't know it is great fishing, just that I try to get and keep my guests on fish up by our resort. Might have to cut loose and hook up with you on the east end sometime. I'm sure you have a few tricks up your sleeve that I could learn, and I know you know that end very well. See you out there!!!

Doug

P.S.-- Is Pike Bay opening up any yet?

Hey Doug,

The river ice is real black and with all the rain it won't take long. I would guess that I'll have open water in front of my place by easter. smile.gif

"Ace" cool.gif

walleye vision

I think both Retreat and Forest Lane will offer access to great Vermilion fishing. I have not stayed at Retreat so I have no first hand knowledge, but have heard good things about the resort. I have stayed at Forest Lane, and would recommend them. Forest Lane is on big open water on Big Bay, and wind can be an issue. If you take your boat rent a lift. Looks to me that Retreat would offer a little more protection on a wind-blown day. I'm sure you'll enjoy a stay at either resort!

BTW I make my resort choices based on whether or not they allow pets because I like to bring my retrievers along on my trips.

I don't think you can go wrong with either resort in my opinion. Retreat is located in a secluded area of the lake, so it's nice and quiet and you can always get out to fish. Forest lane on the other hand is on big water, but you would be very close to some of the best walleye fishing on the lake. I know both of the owners personally and they are very friendly helpful people, that will do what ever they can to make your stay at their resorts an enjoyable experience.

"Ace" cool.gif

This is the biggest smallmouth that Ive seen caught out of Trout Lake.

troutHOT.jpg

Not too impressive when compared to vermilion.