Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
toughguy

Battery for a 90 HP Merc

Question

toughguy

I have an 01 90HP Merc. The starter battery will not take a charge any longer so I will be buying a new one. What should I buy to replace it? I have a deep cycle for the trolling motor and run my depth finder, radio, well and bilge off the starter motor. Should I change this set up and run more off of the deep cycle? If I don't need to change the setup what kind of battery do I need? I'm not looking to buy the best or "most expensive" option just what I need to for reliadble performance.

5 answers to this question

NEANGLER

You may want to try the Optima battery that is the Starting/deep cycle battery. I have heard good things about them and I just bought one for my boat so I am interested to see how it goes.

marine_man

I'd get an optima if I had the cash for it... but you really don't need one of them.

If it were me I'd buy an interstate with as many cranking amps as will fit or you can afford...

Or, another way to look at it, buy a 700 CCA interstate or reputable brand battery and you should be in good shape..

marine_man

toughguy

So how do you think my setup is working all of the accessories off the starter battery? Should I run more off the deep cycle? Also how many hours should I get off a deep cycle running a trolling motor? I know it all depends on the size of the battery and the trolling motor, but throw out a ball park number if you could.

Thanks again

bigb56303

leave your set up as it is i would leave your deep cycyle just for the trolling battery, they are made for the application, the rest of your electronic are fine on the starting battery, also your starting batter charges off your motor like a car battery, and if you have trim tilt they wear out faster, i believe they are only good for a few years depending on usage and maintenance just my 2 cents

marine_man

I'd leave your setup the way you have it - all the accessories on the starting battery and only the trolling motor off the deep cycle.

Without knowing more on your trolling motor it's really tough to even ball park it - if it's a Minnkota Power Drive 50 running at 3/4 continuous I'd say 2-4 hours with one battery. This is a extremely rough stab in the dark though

marine_man