Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slick2526

plot books?

12 posts in this topic

where could I buy or recieve some plot books for clay and becker county? thanks

Usually you can go into the court house and/or Department of Agriculture or even NRCS might. They should be about 20 bucks area.

Farm & Home Publishers out of Belmond, IA sends one out every year to landowners for free. If you have to purchase one from them it looks like they're $40. I've got a Clay county book from 2005 that you can have for nothing if you want it.

I bought plat books online from the Minnesota Bookstore in St. Paul.

I find that the plat books are not kept up to date very well. My parents moved from Clay to Becker county about 5 years ago and the finally got them out of the Clay county plat book this year. If you are just looking for land owner names for hunting, fishing, ect. you can just go to the respective county's web site and navigate to the GIS department of the county and from there you should be able to view maps of the whole county and find out who the land owners are for each parcel of land in the county. These are public files and the information that you will find are the tax rolls for the county and they keep them updated fairly well, Clay County especially, whether it be change of ownership on a parcel, or parcel splits. These interactive maps also have aerial photos that you can toggle on and off so that you can see where you are at. Not all counties have this set up on their web sites, but I know for a fact that Clay and Becker both have a GIS department and have this on their web sites. I use GIS almost every day in my line of work, so if you have a questions let me know and maybe I can try and help you further.

Eyehunter

How do you get into the County website for Becker to access the maps and landowners? I tried to find it but never got into what I was looking for.

Slick -- They are for sale at the Hawley Newspaper office. The cost is $19. Might be closer than running to the courthouse.

Hitman, the information is free on the internet. Sorry, I don't mean to take business away from your paper.

Quote:

Eyehunter

How do you get into the County website for Becker to access the maps and landowners? I tried to find it but never got into what I was looking for.

Go to Becker County's web site (google it if you don't know the address). On the left hand side of their home page select "Departments", when that page loads look on the left again and you will see "GIS Maps", select it and when that page loads slect "Parcel Information". This should take you to a new window and display a map that you can zoom in and out on and slect whichever parcel you want. Once you pick a parcel, it should show the owners name at the bottom of the page, if you click the owners name it should pop up all the information about that particular piece of land. To include the owner and their address.

I really wouldn't put too much stock in those Plat books, they are really not that accurate. Getting the information Direct from the County is much more up to date. Granted if the piece of land has just been sold in the past week or two, it may not reflect those changes, but it will in a lot less time than the plat book will.

BTW, the Clay County site is much the same, Departments, GIS,Parcel information. The maps on the two sites look and operate exactly the same.

Hope this helps.

That's OK -- I'll just have to charge more for tag board and magic markers. grin.gifgrin.gifcool.gif

thanks guys. I guess I would still like to have the book so i had it on hand if im out cruising somewhere and wondering about a land owner or a body of water. to the also include street's and or rual routes in the books?

Hey hitman do you have becker county also?

hey slick,

I'm going to school in crookston next year, I think I'll be home quite a bit next fall for some hunting since I will be much closer....you'll have to join me. I have extra plat books at home from previous years that you can have too if you want.