Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrjigger

lowrance network question

6 posts in this topic

I recently hooked up a lowrance Network in my boat. I have read in the networking manual that you need to hook up the network to a switched power source. What is the purpose for this? I have a lcx-20c locator hooked up to the LGC-2000 gps module, which I have read is a network in itself. I have had no problems with the 20C yet and it is not hooked to a switch. Now I extended the network and hooked up a lms-480 to the LGC-2000 module. Why should I hook the network to a switch?

I would guess that it might draw a small amount of power and drain the battery during storage.

We strongly recommend you shut off the power supply to the power cable when the unit is not in use, especially in saltwater environments. When the unit is turned off, but still connected to a power supply, electrolysis can occur in the power cable plug. This may result in corrosion of the plug body along with the electrical contacts in the cable and the unit's power socket. Risk of electrolysis corrosion is even greater when the cable is unplugged from the unit, but still connected to a power source.

We recommend you connect the power cable to the auxiliary power switch included in most boat designs. If that results in electrical interference, or if such a switch is not available, we recommend connecting direct to the battery and installing an in-line switch. This will let you shut off power to the power cable when the unit is not in use. When you are not using the unit, you should always shut off power to the power cable, especially when the power cable is disconnected from the unit.

If i have a lcx-25c with a chip in it and i have a Lms-332 networked together... Can i see the contours in both units with one chip???

Hiya -

The GPS module is a continuous power draw, as are other sensors that you might connect to the network down the road like fuel flow, temp sensors, etc. Since they're always 'on' you can potentially draw down your battery.

You are correct about your current connection. Technically, a connection between a sonar and GPS module is a NMEA 2000 'network,' albeit a tiny one. Ideally, NMEA 2000 networks are supposed to be totally linear, with devices like power sources, GPS modules, sensors and sonars connected off network T connectors to the main data bus line. So you'd have a power cable running off your network backbone using a T-connector. But if you are running the network off the power cable from your depthfinder/gps, that serves as the network power source too. That having been said... It's a good idea to have your sonar on a switched circuit if you can anyhow.

Oh... If you have a true network set up, only connect ONE unit's NMEA 2000 power cable to a power source. Each unit has to be powered independently of course, but only ONE NMEA power source... Bad, smokey, sparky things happen otherwise...

CentralBassman - Nope, can't share chip data between two units. With the new software updates, you CAN share waypoints between units across the network, but if you want to see chart info on both units, you need 2 chips.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Thanks RK for clearning that up for me... SO Waypoints are really the only thing that you can share across the network???