Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
muskylover9

Rochester bowfishing

11 posts in this topic

Maybe someone can help me out with this. Is it legal to bowfish within city limits? For example silver lake, Foster arends. I would like to get out this spring but don't want a ticket. frown.gif

I have seen people bowfishing on fosters before but I am not to familiar with the regulations on it. A good option for you to try out tho is lake zumbro in oronoco.

Back in my high school days I used to bowfish the pits in The Manor. We always legally entered them to do so. One time out we got the cops called on us by an angry resident of the ponds, may I add we were well away from any houses or people to make safety be of concern. When the cop showed up he asked how we accessed the site, so we told him. After talking with us awhile he simply said he didn't know if bowfishing in the city limits was legal or not. So he was just going to leave and tell the resident we were not breaking any law that he knew of. I just kind of found that funny.

This area is much more developed now and I would not recommend bowfishing it.

I know this doesn't solve the issue of bowfishing in he city but the more I think about it the more I think it is illegal. You cannot shoot any projectile from a weapon inside of city limits. You cannot even shoot your bow in your backyard. So I'd think that bowfishing is a no no.

i don't know if it is legal or not i would assume that even if it is legal that you would give yourself and every other bowfisher a blackeye by doing it in town. Plus there is a haven of roughies all around rochester. Lake shady is absolutely LOADED with roughies. In fact i think it even says on the dnr report that i would be a good place for bow fishing. It if full of shallow water and absolutely chock full of rough fish. That is where i would head. I have heard of guys filling bottoms of boats and 50 gallon drums in an afternoon before it must be a blast. Good luck let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the replys! I think I will play it safe and stick to areas with less people. Definetly will give shady a try, forgot about it. crazy.gif

Help a guy out, i'm fairly new to the area and just learning all the fishing spots. Where's Lake shady??

Just off 52 in Oronoco.

Try the plunge pool below the dam on lake Zumbro, if you can get in there anymore, the new oweners are kind of skiddish. You may have to pay or camp to fish, but the carp shooting is the best i've ever done. Right from the bank you can see them finning ,10# and plus are easiley taken. I have'nt been since Mac owened the place,but I would highly recomed it as one of the top spots around.

Float any part of the Zumbro below the dam. There are so many rough fish there it is unreal. You will get into schools of 100's of fish and just chase them up and down the river for a while picking them off. Carp, buffalo, suckers and whatever else is in there...

yes i have floated the zum many times and i will vouch that there are so many roughies it is an eye opener. i know that it is shallow however and it is a tip wrecker so don't miss much.

ike

A little later in the season when it warms up a bit wade the Zumbro below Mac's. Start at the green bridge and work your way up the river towards the (Contact Us Please). I used to do this a lot and we always took our bikes with and paddolocked them to a tree up towards Mac's so we could get back to our vehicles when we were done and near exhaustion.