• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

looper /north shore report

Lot's of folks out this weekend and surely more to follow with the rivers blowing out. I showed up within minutes of one letting loose. 2 loopers and 3 steelhead today. Just wondering how everyone else did. Also, I've already noticed a huge increase in trash on the shore from fisherman. Surely it was not from FMers but we all have to keep it clean. A seagull flew overhead with a piece of line and a hook hanging from it's back bumper. I wasn't impressed. frown.gif

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Quickstrike

• andrew chadwick

• vermilionwally

• youngie22

its nice to see the rivers are open . Matt were you fishing the shore or were you already fishing in the river?

Fishing the shore with a few buddies. Back at it again today and in our group there was 5 fish landed and a bunch that didn't get a solid hook in em. Two of the five were loopers the rest were steelhead. One looper and one steelie each had a tag.

Is there still ice out there? Im thinking about hitting the French next weekend but waiting for the ice to go out. When do the loopers start running up the rivers?

Matt, or anybody, can you list which river mouths are free of ice? That will help people greatly.

As of an hour ago there is ice just past the french and all the way back to duluth. Everywhere else is open with some areas a bit congested from chunk ice mostly from the rivers blowing open. I think the french will be opened up by next weekend. Looked like a bunch of big chunks stuck together in front of it today. Some of the rivers past the french are roaring pretty good and I wouldn't be too surprised if a few fish have checked em out already. Right now there's so much debris even if there was a fish in the river I wouldn't bother going after it. Still lots of ice to break free up the rivers.

I was down at the sucker this evening shore fishing. Still had to wade out about 10-15 feet to reach the ice edge but beyond that it is free. The sucker was flowing like crazy. Had a few hook-ups but none landed. Gonna hit it again tomorrow afternoon.

What did these crazy temps do for for streams and shore lines, anybody notice anything different tonight? Might give it a go tomorrow and wednesday. Depending on outlook and forcast. Thanx a ton. Hopefully see some of you out there. Probably start south and work north.

UMD WALLEYEGUY, I was there two. I also go to umd, stoped back at the french, didnt see any thing going on.

Go to UMD, as do I and was out at the sucker river today and didn't get a bit. Those rivers are sure moving though.

i casted the flyrod around in front of the sucker, stewart and schmidt today, no fish but it was cool watching the rivers blow out like crazy.

I went and checked out the lester today and it was also going like crazy. THere was still a lot of ice out on the lake thought, it was kinda cool to see.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The warm nights got to be helping, anyone take a temp reading?

Looks like open water at 26th Avenue East and on up the shore...ice is starting to move a little.

Open all the way up the shore, Lester blew out huge last night with the west wind, only a little ice around the mouth. The wind is supposed to turn out of the east a little later so it might blow back in, I'll post after my drive when I get home.

All of the streams from Grand Marais to Grand Portage are flowing, lots of anchor ice, and the bigger streams have lots of ice choked up at the mouth.

Fishstalker, welcome to FM. Great to have you here, and thanks for the report from far up the Shore. grin.gif

I am thankful for this thread. I have a trip planned to the Root River in Racine, WI, this coming weekend. The river there was blown out 10-days ago, and is now in perfect condition, with 276 cfs. However, lots of rain is in the forecast, and if they get any rain, the river will blow out again.

So I would really appreciate a "Thursday" update on the North Shore rivers, especially the lower rivers, if one of you fine folks that live in the area could do that. I will not journey to the Root, if our rivers are running free and are fishable!!

Thanks everyone.

Sounds like it won't be long before the shore is wide open.I've got 4 days off coming up, and I am chomping at the bit to get up there. I really need a new pair of waders though. Anyone have some tips on a decent pair for a good price?

Wishin', waders are one of those things that "cheap-price" usually translates into frustration. The North-Shore is especially tough on waders. I remember about 10-years ago, I slipped into a brand new pair of waders, and was about to slip into the Brule, (MN Brule), under the bridge on the downstream side. I got right at the water, felt a "tug" on my right leg.., looked down.., and had ripped a 3-corner hole about 3-inches in diameter, on a willow that had been cropped by a beaver. Never got the boots wet, and a $175 pair of waders were not so waterproof anymore.

My suggestion is to spend good money on a pair that has significant abrassion-resistance, and get your money's worth.

Anything less, and you stand to be frustrated. Sadly, waders are one of those things that you "get what you pay for."

Hope this helps.

What a difference 8 hrs makes. From the lift bridge north up 61 was WIDE open this morning. At 5:00 pm when I drove home the wind has shifted and the ice is back. It is still wide open from McQuade north, but south of the safe harbor is starting to fill in again.

I wish this stuff would blow to timbucktu sometime soon....else, get some more rain, wind, and warm temps and just melt it all!

It is crazy how 8 hours can change everything.....

water temp was still 33 degrees at the mouth of schmidt creek as of yesterday evening.

Thanks for the welcome. I will be out of the area for a few days, but I will post a flow report Sunday. Hopefully after the rain we get it will blow them wide open and clean them up pretty good!

Quickstrike check your thermometer mine said 34. Jiggin fool just go get the wader repair kit. If they are neoprene they will be easily repaired. Another tip is take your time on those trails up here they can be a little more terminal than down south.

Hey jordan, we were at different rivers. I have a fishpond stream thermomoter that is extemely accurate, but either way, the water is still very very cold.

Spent all afternoon yesterday out at the French (too windy - only an hour there) and Stoney Pt. There were probably around 8 guys down there at Stoney, but I only saw one small coho landed by a guy fishing nightcrawlers on the bottom. Slow. Nice to get out of the wind, but I don't know that it is the best spot for loopers.

Tried using Berkley Gulp bait on a looper bug, but didn't get any action at either Stoney Pt or the French. Since no one else had much luck either, I can't say for sure if Gulp will be good or not for loopers, but am going to keep trying it.

So when does the looper bite usually get going?