• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thanks for making the calls Northlander! The guys that posted this time, are usually reliable... I had the truck packed and was ready to head over there...a lot of us are making a 5-6 hours round trip...and using $50+ worth of gas! If they have been running good and I get skunked, the laugh is on me...but if you guys are playing April Fools all April...it is not so funny! frown.gif

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• kgpcr4

• Nate McVey

• MOBY RICHARD*

I wouldnt come up yet. Ill check it out tonight and report back tomorrow.

Woodie call me about 4pm and we can plan a attack.

I checked the Metro Area Lakes and Rivers forum, and it sounds like most of those lakes are only in the 45-48 degree range, which would be pretty good for smelt... if they had any! blush.gif Usually, Duluth area would be 1-2 weeks behind, but I hope not!

Will be awaiting your report, and much appreciated! smile.gif

That's about right. Had the boat out this am and the temp was anywhere from 43 - 45 down here in the banana belt. No smelt either.

tongue.gif

From the looks of the tower cam there is still quite a bit of ice in front of that bridge for you guys. However it is about 75 here right now so I imagine it warmed up in the shallows.

Hey will keep me posted also? My son and two friends and myself are comeing up on friday. Hope for the best son's first time in the water. confused.giftongue.giftongue.gif

No smelt tonight! Water is still only 37 degrees. Ill try nightly and report what I find. Sadly 2 big groups from the cities came up tonight to find no smelt goin. A few guys I talked to said I was too early. I doubt it. When they run you get them at dusk til you have your fill.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Chang85, Welcome aboard. Any seine under 25' is legal.

According to the DNR North Shore Report, we should look for the temps in the rivers, to warm to 45-50 degrees, and not less than 40 degrees at night.

Kinda like the Maple sugar run, warm enough during the day, not too cold at night, otherwise we become the saps, running after the wind! blush.gif (Not intended for the groups that came up today on bad info.)

Of course ultimately, the smelt decide. When they gotta go, they gotta go, and when they are done...thaaattts all folks till next year! shocked.gif

With the warm and sunny weather coming, it should not be too long...maybe... a few days to a week...hopefully. confused.gif

Anyone have info on them running better with Moonshine or not? shocked.gif

Thanks for the update!

According to the MN DNR site, in Minnesota waters, seines can only be up to 25' long and no more than 4' in net depth.

It looks like in Swissconsin, you can use seines up to 75' X 6', in various areas, but that would be a tough, tall pull, without a commercial operation!

Also, in Minnesota, you must possess a valid Minnesota Resident or Non Resident fishing liscence.

In Wisconsin, Non Residents must possess a valid Wisconsin Non Resident fishing liscence.

I have seen that at Marine General, Walmart and I think Gander Mountain all in Duluth. If you can find one with a good wood handle do it. The aluminum ones get cold on the hands.

Was trolling out in front of the Frence and Sucker Bay today. Water in the lake didn't go past 35.2 degrees. We were in 14 FOW and no change in temp. Still cold. Was trolling south shore yesterday and we saw temps up to 40 degrees in the mud.

Holiday gas stations used to carry them. Get the long, green, wooden handled net with the wire basket if you can.

Hey can you all keep me posted even though it's not sounding to good I'll be comeing up friday. Be in the duluth area around 8p.m. Even if we get nothing it's always a good time. I'll check back on the forum about 8p.m. tonight. tongue.gif Before I forget I've heard what the lake temp. is but what are the river temps. at. Like the lester, knife ,french,stewart. Yes I've done this season before, since I was 10 yrs. old. Thanks

I heard it is illegal to smelt in the french. Is this true???

I also attempted last night at 230am. Nothing. I was alone, I thought i might have seen a few around trying.

For Nets:

Gander Mtn has 2 in stock in Duluth. They are about 6' poles, witha mesh net on them. Retail 19.99.

WalMart has many in stock, 6' handle that telescopes out to about 12' or so. it has the wire basket attached also priced at 19.99. I picked this one up last night. A better deal i think.

WW Yes it is illegal to smelt the French and there are signs in the parking lot stating NO SMELTING ,,,good luck ,,Im gonna wait and see if Park Point clears out and sein there

Randoid

WW if you read back to my post from 2 nights ago you will see that the rivers are about 37-40 degrees depending on time of day. They are still too cold I think but those little buggers ahve to get somewhere when they get that itch to multiply.

Park Point and Wisconsin Point will more than likely be busts this year. Tons of ice still sitting a ways out and locked in from the Duluth entry to past Wi. Point. Lets hope for big west winds and some warm rain guys.

Ill check nightly so just look back here late tonight or early tomorrow.

Lester was 35 degrees last two mornings...thats to cold! I think it will be at least next week.

Well, it looks like maybe a little rain tomorro night, but pretty windy all day from the East, though it looks like the rain is supposed to come from the West. confused.gif

Maybe 50's Saturday daytime, and 40's overnite. Then maybe rain Sunday/Monday, but that is really too far out for good forecasting. blush.gif

With all the ice reported on the points, holding the lake temps down, I have to revise my guesstimate to, 1 to 2 weeks yet...but ya never know!

Anyway that gives a little more time to make sure every piece of equiptment is in order...ok, I pretend its going to be in order, then at the last minute, I will throw it all in the truck and find out what I forgot... when I get there! shocked.gifgrin.gif

Thanks for all the effort by Northlander and anyone helping him, and the guys reporting stream and lake temps, and the ice condition! smile.gif

Hey Northlander, where have you been checking things out at? Shoot me an e-mail if you don't mind.

I got a water temp of 48 at 5:00 and a temp of 44-45 at around 10:00 pm last night but still no smelt confused.gifoh yea I was at the lester

How are you suppose to know which rivers along the North Shore are illegal to smelt in? I looked all over in the regs and special regs and found nothing. I know there is a sign at the French, but someone mentioned you can't smelt in the Sucker, I don't recall ever seeing a sign there that says you can't smelt. What about the Knife? Does anyone know which rivers you can and can't smelt in?

You can't smelt the French and Sucker, thats all the I know of.