Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
midminnesota

SMELTING RUN

447 posts in this topic

CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME A HEADS UP WHEN THE SMELT RUN BEGINS, I KNOW IT'S ABOUT 4 WEEKS EARLY FOR TO BE TALKING ABOUT IT, BUT I DON'T WANT TO BE A WEEK LATE LIKE LAST YEAR. mad.gif THANKS FOR THE HELP tongue.gif

Just watch this forum and you'll be fine. Shouldn't miss it if you keep a good eye on what everyone else is doing. Usually pretty good run around the 20th give or take a few days. Plenty of time still to check for holes in the net.

Lets hope that the ice decides to leave the shoreline on park point. It's starting to look a lot like it did two years ago.

We'll keep you posted!!!!

What kind of gear does a person need for the smelt run?

Gear: Waders, neoprene gloves, buckets, flashlight/headlamp and a seine if you have one. If not theres usually someone to pair up with.

Waders, neoprene, 5 gallon bucket and a dip net......don't forget something to drink to keep you warm grin.gif

A good lantern is a nice thing to have as well as a cooler or folding chair to sit on so you can watch BD110 pull his 15th pull in a row without anything. grin.gif

Dress warm and in layers. Cotton is no good as you will get warm when pulling and cool off when watching.

Remember no fires or alcohol on park point. Most locals on the lake side of PP dont like smelters already and love to call the police at any wrapper or bottle dropped so lets not give them anything to cry about.

dont need anything but a few blocks of C4.

that aside, a dip net for rivers, a siene for the open lake. bring a lantern, waders, head lamp, bucket, and have a good time.

I'm getting excited for the smelt run in a couple weaks. Started looking for my stuff last night and it needs a little work. Look forward to seeing some of you on the beaches.

We use wet suits, and seines.

What size Seine Nets do you guys use?

Woodie, Do not worry I have one that you can use or we can pull together smirk.gif.

I'm interested in learning. I see that some nets are 1/4 and some are 1/8th...i would assume 1/8th so the critters don't slip through, but....would imagine the drag on those things get pretty tough when filled with smelt...especially with only eigth in holes....

i wonder if we have issues of smelt running under the ice on park point like they did over in chequamigan bay last year. crazy.gif

Quick

Last year the smelt didnt start the run till around april 20th ,,,,at park point any way

Im planning to put a sock on my sein this year ,,whats left of last years smelt will befome fertilizer for my gardens

Randoid

does anyone now were and how much the seines with the sock are was thinking of getting one this year tired of bottom of net rolling under and smelt leaving the net was also thinking of putting a rope in the middle at the bottom having someone pull on that till reach shore i would think thatll stopo the bottom from rolling any ideas

Christiansen Nets is the only way to go. Sock "condom" or not. I would recomend the sock though. I think I paid about $140 for mine about 3 or 4 years ago. You have to get poles and I recomend PVC with caps on bottom and top but drill some holes in the bottom. Some guys put 1 pvc inside another pvc and others put a wood dowling in the pvc. Also a lot of 2by4s and splinters.

northlander where might a guy pick up one of the christiansen nets.

Google christiansen nets wink.gif

Quick

Interesting you mentioned the smelt running under the ice bit... As I was thinking this as well.. But, just yesterday, I was just to a local and non-local commercial guy about this very thing.... Both stated, they are seeing these smelt spawning in deeper water then what we normally have seen. The non-local is seeing this on the Michigan side of Superior... So, some still come to the shore, but most (now from what they told me from what they seen in their nets) are spawning in 20 to 30FOW after ice out by what they are seeing in their nets.

Im looking for a guy to take me smelting for the first time. I know some of the basics, but need some help getting started. I dont own a siene.I got good waders, and will pull more than my share of the work. Im 19 and a freshman at UMD.

Chadwick just keep your eyes here and when you see we have started to hit it come on down and join in on the fun. Another guy pulling the seign always helps.

Quote:

Chadwick just keep your eyes here and when you see we have started to hit it come on down and join in on the fun. Another guy pulling the seign always helps.

It's been years since I went smelting. What happened to dipnets??

Dipnets are for the rivers. Most of the seining is off the Point. Rivers have been hit & miss in years past but it last year was OK. Are the smelt on the rise, we'll see.

chadwick,

There are many of us that will be down on the shore when, if not before the smelt start to run. It will be no trouble at all to get you out for as many pulls as you wish to take.

The more people Northlander can line up to make the pulls for him the better. That way he can just stand on shore and let you know if your doing it correctly. grin.gifgrin.gif

Steve,

That should make us even. Unless you would like to keep it going.

All kidding aside I hope we are able to pull of good season this year. The only plus side to a poor run is you will not have to clean as many smelt.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• BringAnExtension
      My trophy would be the walleye, mainly because it is what I target but I have to admit hooking a 21" small mouth would be a fun battle.
    • Wheres_Walter
      So I saw this question posed elsewhere, and thought it was a fun one to get people talking as we wait for open water season.   Which trophy fish do you have on Vermilion?  Which do you want the most?  And why?   A- 30" Walleye B- 21" Smallie C- 40" Pike D- 50" Muskie   My goal is a 21"+ smallie.  I got a 20.5" last summer, which is 1/2" shy of Master Angler quality in Minnesota.  Why?  Because I can't get so close and not ultimately achieve the goal.  The 21" smallie on Vermilion is now my white whale.      
    • Rick
      Looking for an unforgettable outdoor adventure this summer? Sign up for one of the I Can! programs offered by Minnesota state parks and trails.   Reservations are being taken for the following beginner-level programs, which start in June and continue through the end of August: I Can Camp! – Develop (or brush up on) fire-starting and camp cooking skills and sleep on air mattresses in tents large enough to accommodate two adults and up to three children ($60 for one-night programs or $85 for two-night programs). I Can Paddle! – Get out on the water for a guided canoeing, kayaking or sea kayaking adventure (prices vary).  I Can Climb! – Experience the thrill of rock climbing with instruction provided by trained professionals from Vertical Endeavors Guided Adventures ($10/child, $20/adult).  I Can Mountain Bike! – Learn riding techniques and explore mountain bike trails with guides from the Cuyuna Lakes Mountain Bike Club ($15/child, $25/adult).  I Can Fish! – Kids will have fun of casting into the water and enjoying the excitement when there’s a tug on the line. ($5/person, children under 12 are free). The I Can! series also includes the Archery in the Parks program, which is free and for which no reservations are needed. “Not having the right equipment or know-how can be a barrier to spending time outdoors,” said Erika Rivers, director of Minnesota state parks and trails. “The I Can! programs make it easy for families to enjoy camping and other outdoor experiences by providing tents, canoes, mountain bikes and other gear. Friendly instructors also provide plenty of tips and encouragement so that adults and kids can both have fun learning new skills.” Registration and more information For more information including program dates, times, locations, and minimum age requirements—visit www.mndnr.gov/ican or contact the DNR Information Center at info.dnr@state.mn.us or 888-646-6367 (8 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday). To register for a program, visit www.mndnr.gov/reservations or call 866-857-2757 (8 a.m.-8 p.m. daily, except holidays). This series of introductory programs is made possible with funding from the Parks and Trails Fund, created after voters approved the Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment in November 2008. The Parks and Trails Fund receives a share of sales tax revenue that may only be spent to support parks and trails of regional or statewide significance. The I Can! programs received a Government Innovation Award in 2015. More than 12,800 people have participated in these programs since they were first offered in 2010. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Anyone living near bear habitat is reminded to be aware of bears this spring and check their property for food sources that could attract bears.  “Leaving food out in yards that can be eaten by bears can lead to property damage and presents dangers to bears,” said Eric Nelson, wildlife animal damage program supervisor for the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. “Pet food, livestock feed, birdseed, compost or garbage can attract bears.” As bears emerge from hibernation, their metabolism gradually ramps up and they will begin looking for food at a time when berries and green vegetation can be scarce. Only black bears live in the wild in Minnesota. They usually are shy and flee when encountered. Never approach or try to pet a bear. Injury to people is rare, but bears are potentially dangerous because of their size, strength and speed. The DNR does not relocate problem bears. Relocated bears seldom remain where they are released. They may return to where they were caught or become a problem somewhere else. The DNR offers some tips for avoiding bear conflicts. Around the yard Do not leave food from barbeques and picnics outdoors, especially overnight. Coolers are not bear-proof. Replace hummingbird feeders with hanging flower baskets, which are also attractive to hummingbirds. Eliminate birdfeeders or hang them 10 feet up and 4 feet out from the nearest trees. Use a rope and pulley system to refill birdfeeders, and clean up spilled seeds. Where bears are a nuisance, birdfeeders should be taken down between now and Dec. 1. Store pet food inside and feed pets inside. If pets must be fed outdoors, feed them only as much as they will eat. Clean and store barbeque grills after each use. Store them in a secure shed or garage away from windows and doors. Pick fruit from trees as soon as it’s ripe, and collect fallen fruit immediately. Limit compost piles to grass, leaves and garden clippings, and turn piles regularly. Do not add food scraps. Harvest garden produce as it matures. Locate gardens away from forests and shrubs that bears may use for cover. Use native plants in landscaping whenever possible. Clover and dandelions will attract bears. Elevate bee hives on bear-proof platforms or erect properly designed electric fences. Do not put out feed for wildlife (like corn, oats, pellets or molasses blocks). Garbage Store garbage in bear-resistant garbage cans or dumpsters. Rubber or plastic garbage cans are not bear-proof. Keep garbage inside a secure building until the morning of pickup. Properly rinse all recyclable containers with hot water to remove all remaining product. Store recyclable containers, such as pop cans, inside. Store garbage that can become smelly, such as meat or fish scraps, in a freezer until it can be taken to a refuse site or picked up by refuse collector. Take especially smelly or rotting garbage as soon as possible to your local refuse facility so it can be buried. People should always be cautious around bears. If they have persistent bear problems after cleaning up the food sources, they should contact a DNR area wildlife office for assistance. For the name of the local wildlife manager, contact the DNR Information Center at 651-296-6157 or 888-646-6367, or visit the office locator page. For more information, visit mndnr.gov/livingwith_wildlife/bears. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Registration is open for the 2017 I Can! programs Looking for an unforgettable outdoor adventure this summer? Sign up for one of the I Can! programs offered by Minnesota state parks and trails.
      Reservations are being taken for the following beginner-level programs, which start in June and continue through the end of August: I Can Camp! – Develop (or brush up on) fire-starting and camp cooking skills and sleep on air mattresses in tents large enough to accommodate two adults and up to three children ($60 for one-night programs or $85 for two-night programs). I Can Paddle! – Get out on the water for a guided canoeing, kayaking or sea kayaking adventure (prices vary).  I Can Climb! – Experience the thrill of rock climbing with instruction provided by trained professionals from Vertical Endeavors Guided Adventures ($10/child, $20/adult).  I Can Mountain Bike! – Learn riding techniques and explore mountain bike trails with guides from the Cuyuna Lakes Mountain Bike Club ($15/child, $25/adult).  I Can Fish! – Kids will have fun of casting into the water and enjoying the excitement when there’s a tug on the line. ($5/person, children under 12 are free). The I Can! series also includes the Archery in the Parks program, which is free and for which no reservations are needed. “Not having the right equipment or know-how can be a barrier to spending time outdoors,” said Erika Rivers, director of Minnesota state parks and trails. “The I Can! programs make it easy for families to enjoy camping and other outdoor experiences by providing tents, canoes, mountain bikes and other gear. Friendly instructors also provide plenty of tips and encouragement so that adults and kids can both have fun learning new skills.” Registration and more information For more information including program dates, times, locations, and minimum age requirements—visit www.mndnr.gov/ican or contact the DNR Information Center at info.dnr@state.mn.us or 888-646-6367 (8 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday). To register for a program, visit www.mndnr.gov/reservations or call 866-857-2757 (8 a.m.-8 p.m. daily, except holidays). This series of introductory programs is made possible with funding from the Parks and Trails Fund, created after voters approved the Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment in November 2008. The Parks and Trails Fund receives a share of sales tax revenue that may only be spent to support parks and trails of regional or statewide significance. The I Can! programs received a Government Innovation Award in 2015. More than 12,800 people have participated in these programs since they were first offered in 2010. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.